Skip to main content

Week 30 at Home: Mini Vacay!

We kicked off the week with a fun overnight trip to the Great Wolf Lodge. Not the one in the Wisconsin Dells (been there, done that) but the one in Bloomington...just a 20 minute drive from our house. This was our only vacation so far this year (and will probably be the only place we go for an overnight), so we made a point of saying YES to the kids. You want a fancy drink with dinner? Sure! You want to play in the arcade? You bet! (But that led to a conversation about claw machines and how they don't really count as games...and how you can't win tickets to redeem on them...that was a painful lesson for G to learn.) You want to do some mining? Why not?? Magic Quest? OKAY! Mini-bowling? Okee dokee! Anyway...you get my drift...we said yes to several other things, as well, and it was fun. It's been a rough year so far and we wanted to give the kids a break from all of the NOs they have been hearing.

Hanging out before heading to the water park


 Fancy drink - yum!


Mining for pretty rocks


Starting up Magic Quest...




Mini-bowling...super fun!!




Snuggling with his new Wiley Build-a-Bear...and we even picked up pjs for the wolf...another example of continuing to say YES...





G also lost his fourth tooth earlier this week. He had been wiggling it forever and it finally popped out. We don't see any signs of either of the top teeth coming down, so he might be toothless for a while. Ha!


G and I went on a super long walk on Saturday afternoon. The weather was lovely, and the trees were hitting their peak colors. I think we walked for almost two hours, and we only took one 15 minute break so he could play at a park. He didn't complain much until we were back in the neighborhood...and then he was DONE. But, I got some great pics of the colors, and he certainly was able to burn off some energy today. He also had a new friend stop over today to give him an invite to a birthday party...it's so fun, they have the same birthday, are in the same class at school, and they seem to get along really well! We also have a playdate scheduled with the girl across the street next Wednesday, so that'll be a wonderful way to get out some energy midday/midweek.

Ava, G, and I made another one of the recipes from the October "Frightful Fiesta" kit. It's a super yummy cheesy corn dip with tortilla chips that we toasted in the oven. So good!

We also picked up some more Halloween decor and so now we have a spooky skeleton-thing hanging from our tree and the color-changing lights are ready to go outside. We're feeling festive this year and it's fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

Preparing for Vacation

We had a low key week, which is rare in this house. Oh sure, there were fun field trips at Summer Power, a visit to the splash pad on a hot day, and a few crazy, rain storms, but it was an easy week. Well, there was that one time when we were out for dinner with G (Ava was with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug for an overnight stay and a trip to the Dakota County Fair - fun!) and G decided to hide behind my chair and puke all over me and the floor (at the restaurant.) Ugh. The good news is that he was just too full of chocolate milk...no illness! A quiet week, once in a while, is an okay thing! We're starting to prep for our vacation to the Wisconsin Dells...we don't take too many family vacations, so this is a big event for us. (Funny, I took a break from writing this post as Scott just asked me about planning a trip to Disney...we were debating the differences between going to California vs. Florida...pros and cons to each!) Yesterday, I showed G a video from one of the wat...