Skip to main content

We Made It: Polar Vortex 2019!

We survived Winter Storm Jayden! For as miserable as it was, I expected a tougher name than that. Like Vlad or Norse or...something other than a sweet name that conjures up images of happy little babies. Cuz there was nothing sweet or happy about that bitterly cold weather!

The weather that we just survived broke records across several states. School was closed for four days, the post office suspended service for one day, and I think a lot of businesses encouraged their employees to stay safe and work at home, if possible. That’s what I did. I didn’t leave my house from Saturday evening until Thursday morning. I worked from home, with both kids with me, for three days, and I thought I was going to lose my mind. They were both good during that time, but there wasn’t any great way to burn off energy. They were bored, and G was a bit rambunctious by the end of each day, and was literally bouncing off of furniture. So, when the 4th day of school was cancelled, we came up with an alternate plan, and we all went to separate locations. It was so nice to get out and see my co-workers again.

Throughout the week, I was terrified that our heat would go out, or our pipes were going to burst. I let the faucet run at a trickle over night, kept the curtains closed for three days (yeah, that really helps with the cabin fever...sigh,) and kept the furnace at a consistent heat setting. Yet, we still had frost coming in through our trim and “growing” on the wood work. Crazy!

Here's a gradual succession of the temps dropping as time went on...50 below with wind chill! Whaaaat?!






But, that’s all passed now, and we’re sitting at a balmy 36 degrees...above zero! The snow is melting, and it’s weirdly foggy. During this past week, all I keep thinking about was the movie “The Day After Tomorrow” where most of North America freezes over, and people flee to Mexico to survive. With the way things are going now, politically, I’m not really sure that Mexico would let us in!

With so many days of solitude this week, we didn’t do much. Last night we went out for a yummy dinner, and I saw one of my coworkers from my last job, so that was a fun little surprise. Today we’re going to stay in, work on the house, and enjoy the day/Super Bowl game with my parents. And if we need to step outside for any reason, we can. It won’t freeze our faces off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...