Skip to main content

Doppelgangers and Division

This was the last full week of school...Ava has two more days next week, and then she's out for the summer! I cannot believe that she will then be starting her last year of elementary school. Seems like a huge milestone for us...

Ava was a little stinker this week, and neglected to tell us that she had TWENTY pages of math homework due by Friday. Scott had been asking her every day if she had homework, and the answer was always no...until we "caught" her trying to catch up on those 20 pages of long division problems. Oh boy...she worked on those for hours and hours, and even lost access to her Kindle for a few days. We had a nice long chat about 1) procrastination, and 2) lying. When I dropped her off at the before school care on Friday morning, I advised the director that Ava was not to play until she finished her homework. And, she succeeded! We have no idea how much of it was correct, but...at least she learned the lesson about procrastination.

Since she finished the work, it means that she was able to play in the kickball tourney on Friday, and will be able to participate in the yearbook signing event this week.

Glad it all worked out in the end, but we were pretty disappointed that it got to that point. We're going to have to come up with a different plan for monitoring homework next year.

G also had a bit of a rough week. He started off with some potty issues, and then morphed into being naughty at daycare. But, by Thursday, he got back on track and was our (mostly) sweet boy again. He's taken the big step in realizing when he has to go #2, and will hustle off to the potty, all by himself. Recognizing it is half the battle, I think!

I had a half day on Friday, so had a chance to visit with my friend Emilie for a bit, and then Scott and I were able to meet up for a few apps and a drink at a local bar. I picked up a few movies for the night, and we thoroughly enjoyed watching "Ferdinand" and "Black Panther". G went to bed before BP was done, but Ava, Scott, and I all stayed awake, for the entire movie. It was REALLY good. Makes this DC girl want to start tackling the Marvel movie list that I put together. I'm pretty sure there's not enough time to watch all of the TV shows and movies that I want to see!

We also discovered that a bird made a nest inside one of our hanging plants. Whenever I watered the plant, a bird would fly out of it, and I couldn't figure out why...until I took the plant down in prep for a storm, and happened to look inside. Now, I'm much more careful when I water the plant...I always take it down, and water away from the nest.


I'm a little worried about when the eggs hatch...the plant is right above rocks in our landscaping, and it's at least an 8' drop to the ground. I'm picturing little baby bird bodies in the rocks. Ugh. We need to find a place to move the plant, so it's still protected, but won't be as big of a drop if the babies jump out. And, how do I water the plant if there are baby birds in there? Scott told me to let the plant die, but I'm not sure I'm on board with that idea... I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually.

One day last week, Ava and I were following this car on the way to her school. The dog that kept poking its head outside of the window looked SO much like Darla, I couldn't stop staring at it. It's hard to see in the pic below, but I couldn't let this doppelganger get away without taking a pic.


This morning, Ava, my mom, and I are off to celebrate a belated Mother's Day brunch at American Girl at the MOA - and then to do a little shopping afterwards. Should be a great way to spend an overcast Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...