Skip to main content

Block Party 2016

I really, really like weeks when I only have to work three days.  Can I do that all of the time?! 

I took Tuesday off so G and I could go to the Hissin' and Hootin' Toddler Time class at the MN Zoo.  We went to a toddler class last summer and he had NO interest in learning about frogs.  I remember thinking, "Next year...it'll be better!"  And it WAS!  He listened, he participated, he paid attention...amazing!


We learned about snakes and owls...and we both had fun petting the snakes back and belly when they passed him around.  We also sat right in front with the owl...G's became instantly attentive once they brought her out of her mobile cage. And at the end, when she flapped her wings, and came right at us, I think we were both a little unsure of what to do.  The amount of wind created from her flapping her wings was insane!

Before the animals came into the room, the kids had free range to play with anything they wanted to.  G found the bucket of balls/beanbags.  He proceeded to sort them by color, and then noticed that each color also had a square, a triangle, and a sphere.  He quickly realized that the green sphere was missing and wanted to know where it was.  I was super impressed that he categorized everything so quickly and realized the one item that was missing. 


After a fun trip to the zoo, we had a lunch date at McDonald's (I have never gone just with G) and then he settled down for a nice nap.  It was a great afternoon...and ended up being a really nice day off of work with my little guy!

On Wednesday, Ava's #8 tooth came out AND she passed from the red class to the yellow class in swimming!  She brought her goggles to her lesson and that made all of the difference with her being able to do the front float successfully.  So proud of her...it seemed like she was going to be in the red class forever!

You can't see her missing tooth, but the gap is in there!


My co-worker bought her some books as a thank you for giving her daughter the books that Ava has outgrown. Ava loves this new series!

 
On Friday, I took the day off for just ME.  And it was another great day!  After I dropped the kids off at daycare/summer power, I got coffee and took a leisurely stroll through Target.  And when I got back home, I spent 1.5 hours at our pool...it was so quiet...there were just a few kids there, and mostly women, reading on their chairs, enjoying the solitude.  I even managed to sneak in a nap on Friday afternoon before everyone got home!!  After I picked up Ava from summer power, she and I took a trip to Michael's and she picked out a Rainbow Loom set as her "surprise" from passing to the yellow class in swimming. (I had told her this summer that if she moved into the yellow class, she'd get a surprise.  She asked for a $100 gift card to Target. I said no. LOL)  I'm now the proud owner of a teal and black bracelet, made with love by Ava.


Yesterday the west side of our neighborhood had a block party...and WOW, it was pretty awesome!  There were SO many games for the kids, great food, meeting neighbors we've never even seen before, and then the Rosemount Fire Dept showed up!  The kids loved climbing in the truck and trying on the fire suits.  They tapped into the fire hydrant in the cul-de-sac and the kids had a fantastic time turning on and spraying the hose!  The four firefighters stayed a while, and even joined in to have some food with the neighborhood. It was a great addition to a very fun party! After the sun went down, we enjoyed a bonfire at the neighbors, and finally called it a night around 10:30. We had been out for 6 hours at that point, and needed to hit the hay. Such a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon and evening!

It was such a surprise when the RFD showed up!




SO much fun with the fire hose!



Ava won the donut eating contest...


And she kinda did the limbo...


G wanted to eat the egg, but we convinced him to run with it instead (and then he lost his hat in the process.)


 Wish all weeks could be this great!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...