Skip to main content

Dee-troit!

I had a last minute request to travel for a client, so I headed out to Detroit this past week.  In the last year, I've learned how to better set boundaries on my personal time vs. my professional time, so I was only away from my family for one night - no big deal.  I'm a pretty easy-going traveler...I always assume I'll make my flight, and don't get worked up about small issues that pop up.  But, when I drove up the airport on Wednesday afternoon, and saw that the entire Terminal 1 parking ramp was closed (full?  construction?  I have no idea!) I started to panic a little bit.  I swallowed that panic, and calmly followed directions to park in the Terminal 2 ramp...and then I proceeded to miss my turn while driving, and ended up in some weird part of the airport that appeared to be restricted.  Tick-tock, tick-tock...it's fine, it's fine, I kept telling myself.  I finally managed to park, and get myself down to the light rail station to head to T1.  At 2:48pm, I looked up at the scheduled arrival of the next train..."will arrive in 5 minutes."  And my flight was starting to board at 3:05pm.  Panic!

The train finally got there, and took us to T1.  As we followed signage, I realized I had to take yet another train to get to the security area at the airport.  Deep breath in, deep breath out.  Miraculously, the security lines were short, and I flew through them in record time, and sprinted to my gate.  The plane was already boarding, but it was a full flight.  I had to gate check my carry-on, and when I made it to my seat (between two very nice women) I realized I was super sweaty, and pretty gross.  By the time we landed in Detroit, I was calm and cool again, and ready to get to the hotel.  The great thing is that someone who I used to work with in Travel was also in Detroit (same hotel) so we made plans to catch up over dinner. It was awesome to hear about how everyone was doing back in Travel, along with my old clients in the automotive industry.


The next day's meeting was fantastic, and definitely worth my time to fly out there.  The sales executive kindly drove me to the airport, and I took my sweet time getting to my gate.  I offered to gate check my bag, and they laughed and declined.  However, the flight was full, and I was one of the last people to board (on purpose)...and wouldn't you know it, due to space issues, they needed to gate check my bag.  Haha! (I knew all along they were going to have to gate check it...I was just trying to save them some time by offering in advance.)

There were pretty bad storms in Minnesota while I was gone, and we had to fly back through them...it was pretty bumpy, and we were tossed around like little rag dolls.  The guy next to me watched the weather on the whole flight home, and I kept my eyes on "Paddington" (which he also watched, when he thought I wasn't looking.)  I think both of us were nervous due to the weather, but were trying not to be externally panicked.  In any case, we survived, and I realized, once again, how much I do not like flying.  Ugh.

The rest of the week was good...homework, play dates, books, and movies.  Last night, Ava and I made brownies, and then three of her friends stopped over to hand deliver a birthday invite to her.  Pretty cute!  They had a last minute (short) playdate, and then everyone went to bed on time.  And I watched a movie!  (Scott was out at a friend's booya event for the night, so I had the tv all to myself!)



My little baker


It's a beautiful Sunday...bright sunny skies, yet, not as many leaves on the trees to rustle as the breeze goes through them.  Looks like fall is right around the corner!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...