Skip to main content

11 Miles

I.Am.Pooped.  Yesterday was an eleven mile day.  And my feet hurt.

But, let me back up a bit.  Both Scott and I had short work weeks...we didn't have daycare Wed-Fri of this week (Sheila was on vacation.)  I stayed at home on Wednesday, and we had a very good day...we went to the library and Ava picked up her last "summer reading challenge" prize, we got her hair cut into a cute little bob (she reminded me that we needed to cut her hair before school started...such a good little assistant!) and then they accompanied me to get new running shoes.  Both of them made quite the impression on the sales lady - she was a saint, and rolled with everything that came out of our sassy girl's mouth.  And I successfully used a gift card (for the shoes) that I've been carrying around for FOUR years.  I count that as quite an accomplishment!

I asked Ava to make a "thank you" gift for Sheila for watching her this summer.  She ended up making an almost life-size princess cut-out to give to her.  Crown, jewels, glass slippers, and a book...what else could a princess want?  Sheila loved it, and told Ava she'd hang it up on the fridge for everyone to see.  She is GREAT with kids! :)

Note that one of the hands is a cutout from a tissue box...?  I recycled that, but somehow, it managed to make its way out of recycling...hmm, Ava...?


The princess is holding a book that is titled "Scool will be fun", and inside the book is this very interesting picture.  I asked why there was a person with a moneybag for a head.  The answer had something to do with Sponge Bob, but I didn't quite follow the rest...


Ava was playing her guitar for a very captive audience!


Scott was home with the kiddos Thurs-Fri, and it seems like they had a good time...the look on G's face when I walked through the door after work is absolutely priceless.  I love seeing his face light up like that!  The other night, I was rubbing his back and head after his last bottle.  I must have hit a sensitive spot on his lower scalp/neck because every time I passed over it, he would let out a giggle. Those little baby giggles are awesome and put everything else in perspective!

We've been giggle-less/sassy-less since yesterday morning, though.  Scott dropped Ava and G off with Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey yesterday morning, and went off to work for a bit.  My co-worker had picked me up at 6:45am, and we headed into downtown St Paul to take part in the Women Rock 5K (there is also a 10K and a half marathon...yeah, not this year!)  We registered for this back in April, and had high hopes that we would be running during it, but, well, life happens, and we settled for walking.  And that was a-ok!  We walked at a good pace, and finished in about 45 minutes...pretty good for walking!  As we crossed the finish line, we received a medal from some very cute, very shirtless men... :)  We also picked up a glass of champagne, and were given a really nice lightweight jacket to wear for running.  We're already talking about signing up for the next fun run in October...and maybe we'll run part of that one!

Amy and I enjoyed some bubbly after we finished!


Since I was kid-less, hubby-less, and back home before 10am, I didn't quite know what to do with myself.  So, I went and checked out a local bakery/coffee shop, and brought my new Kindle to read.  That lasted for about 15 minutes.  Scott called me, told me he couldn't work (parts weren't available) and did I want to go to the Minnesota State Fair early? (We had plans to go in the evening.) A few extra hours at the fair?  You bet!

We were able to hit the road around 1:30...and stayed on the road for 2.5 hours after that.  It is a darn good thing I was driving, as we didn't actually walk into the fair until 4pm.  Traffic and parking was absolutely miserable in the area, and I'm pretty sure that had Scott been driving, we never would have made it inside the fair.  His patience was gone about 1.5 hours into the ride, and during the final 30 minutes, I was on the brink of giving up.  BUT, we didn't!  I wouldn't be surprised if attendance was over 200,000 people yesterday - I don't think I've ever been there when it was so busy.  For those who don't know, the MN State Fair is the largest state fair in the US, based on average daily attendance.  (Fun fact for you on a Sunday!)

So, keeping that in mind, the lines were pretty long for food/drink yesterday.  We passed on some of our standard fair food fare (hahaha) like cheese curds (boo!) but did manage to try one new thing...s'more beer.  As a non-beer drinker, I enjoyed it, but I won't lie...I liked my standard beergarita better!

Look at the crowds...and my s'more beer!


I think we lasted until maybe 7:30pm-ish and then we headed back to Rosemount to go to a local bar and chill out for a bit.  I thoroughly enjoyed not being in a crowd, and being able to kick my feet up a bit.  I checked my FitBit at the end of the night, and I had walked 11 miles yesterday...over 20,000 steps.  Wow!  When I finally took my running shoes off last night, my feet were so tired, and I'm pretty sure they were swollen a bit.  I was happy to see my toes back to normal size this morning. :)

We're taking Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey out for an early dinner tonight, and then we'll be able to spend some quality time with the kids, before it gets too late.  Should be a great rest of the weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh