Skip to main content

Deer Education

With this crazy July weather we've been having (upper 90's one day, chilly mid-60's the next,) I think we're all a bit confused on what time of year it is.  I was hoping to go to a water park on Friday afternoon, but due to the winter-like conditions, decided to get a pedi, go to a French bakery, and shopping instead.  A fun afternoon, for sure, but not the one I was expecting!

We went to a my co-worker's party last night, and it was weird pulling out the fall apparel.  But, glad we had it, as we were outside most of the night, and it was chilly. 



This weather has started me thinking about this fall...and hunting season.  I'm not a hunter, but Scott is.  That means we both like it when we see deer in the neighborhood - but our joy is probably for different reasons.  I think they're cute animals, whereas Scott sees dinner.  On Thursday afternoon (I was home with a fevered-Ava) I looked out our back window and saw a doe with two fawns - hanging out in the neighbor's garden, enjoying the salad they found.  As I watched them, I noticed one of the fawns squat, and presumably pee.  I thought that was odd (I'll be honest, I don't read up on how deers operate in nature,) and even mentioned it to Scott, since I was on the phone with him when it happened.  I also mentioned it to another friend of mine - and they both said they didn't know deer did that (and maybe I was crazy?)  After some research (thanks Wikipedia!) we discovered that for the first year of a deer's life, they do in fact, squat...it has something to do with the glands on their legs, etc.  Interesting, but the main point was that hey, you really can learn something new every day!  And teach it to other people!

That was a really long paragraph about something that 0.01% people might be interested in, but...now you've learned something, too. :)

 
In other news...last weekend, Ava had a birthday party to attend at Como Zoo in St Paul.  Anyone who has EVER tried to go to Como on a lovely summer weekend afternoon knows that there is absolutely no parking available - not on the lots, not on the street, and not in the nearby neighborhoods.  Since Ava is only a wee five years old, I could hardly let her out of the car by herself and send her aimlessly across the zoo grounds to find where she was going.  Moment of panic!  Thank goodness that I'm friends with the mom of the birthday girl, and she left the pre-stages of the party to come and get Ava from my car.  Crisis averted! 
 
So, then I parked the car about a mile away, melted for about 20 minutes inside while making a phone call, and then trekked back to the Como grounds.  It was a beautifully hot day, so I enjoyed the sunshine outside of the conservatory, read a book, and did some people watching, while waiting for the party to be done.  I had a hard time getting Ava back to the car after the party was over as we had to walk by the Como amusement park, and then, oh yeah, had that mile hike ahead of us.  But bribing and dragging her seemed to work, and we eventually made to our destination.  I did tell Ava the suggestion that came from Grandpa Doug: "Either you walk to the car, or you walk home."  Seems like an obvious choice to me!
 
The Conservatory
 


 
 
In even more exciting news...our potted tomato plant produced it's first little crop!  We're so used to having a big garden, and weren't sure how things were going to work out this year with our on-deck pots of tomatoes and pepper plants.  I'm pretty happy with these little treats.
 
 

 
Pregnancy update: 25 weeks, and still feeling good. And tired. Baby Boy is moving a lot these days, and expanding to all available areas inside of me.  Although, last night, a woman I had never met, mentioned that based on my size, I must only be a few months along. When I corrected her and told her that I'm over 6-months pregnant, she exclaimed that it must be my first child.  Wrong again!  Let me introduce you to Ava...  Don't get me wrong, I'm fine if people think I look tiny - when I see myself in the mirror, I know I'm not.  Luckily, that view is reserved for just a small handful of people. :)

House update:  Last week we had a hole, now we have basement walls!  We drove to Rosemount this morning to see what progress had been made, and we were pleased to see that things moved along over this past week. Even with the downpours we've had.


 
The sun is out today, so I think it's time to enjoy it while it makes an appearance. Happy week to you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...