Skip to main content

Goodbye Sweet Spanky

This is a post that I'm not very excited to write.  As you probably know, our oldest dog, Spanky, had struggled with health issues (ear infections, seizures) his whole life, and recently, his health had severely deteriorated.  He hadn't been eating, his ear infection was so severe his face was swollen, he had a hard time getting up the stairs, and he very rarely wanted to play.  Last week we got a few tail wags from him, and he ate a few bowls of food, but it was a 50-50 chance that he would actually keep the food down.

On Thursday, we made the decision that if he wasn't any better by this weekend, we were going to put him down.  I know Scott didn't want to make that decision as Spanky was a very special dog to him - he truly was his little buddy, following him around everywhere, wanting to be wherever Scott was, and howling his sadness whenever Scott would leave him.

Throughout Friday night, it became clear that Spanky wasn't going to have a miraculous recovery, so Scott made an 8am appointment with the vet for Saturday morning.  The countdown to when they had to leave was horrible.  Knowing that we were going to send him off, and never see him again was so hard to accept.  Ava and I stayed at home so Scott could say goodbye to Spanky on his own.  Scott was holding him when his heart stopped - that's an image that will stay with him forever.  In addition to feeling immense sadness, Scott's also feeling guilty...did he make the right decision?  Was there something else that we could have done to keep Spanky with us longer?  So many what ifs...

But it was the humane thing to do.

Ava was very concerned that Lucky would no longer have her father with her.  But, she was happy to hear that Spanky is now running and barking with all of the other dogs who have passed on.  We've had a lot of talks about death lately, but she keeps asking if we're going to see him again.  Sigh... :(

Even though Darla and Lucky are still with us, the house feels oddly empty.  And quiet.  It's not even like Spanky added that much extra noise to the house, but it feels like there is a hole with something missing.  Lucky has caught Scott off guard a few times where she's popped out from behind a corner, and he thought she was Spanky.  Double sigh.

Spanky's first day with Scott


So much love



Lookin' good!


And then there were two...Spanky was always watching Darla!


Spanky tolerated Darla cuddling in his bed


Fast forward many years...the gray has set in, and he is an old man


This was from last December - before his face swelled up and he became almost unrecognizable.
And this is about as much as I can write without breaking down, so...more to come next week.

Comments

Lisa said…
I'm trying to type this through tears... I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Spanky. My heart goes out to Scott- I held Chewy as he went and it was SO HARD, but you want to be with them in those last moments. Tell Scott he DID make the right, humane, decision. Spanky isn't suffering anymore and you gave him a wonderful life. Darla and Lucky will probably be pretty sad in the weeks to come. Give them lots of love. Hugs to all of you, friend.
Megan said…
So sad :( I think Spanky had a lot of the same personality traits as Scott :) It must have been a horrible decision to make but I agree it was the right thing to do. What a great companion. Everyone will miss him.

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...