Skip to main content

We're Going to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo!

We didn't have daycare yesterday (Good Friday), so Ava and I decided to head to the Minnesota Zoo to meet up with some friends.  It was, literally, a zoo there!  We stood in line for 30 minutes just to get INTO the zoo!  I was pretty happy with how patient Ava was...I was beginning to get a little nutty, so I'm happy she held it together for the two of us.

Once we got in though, we had a blast!  We met up with my friend, Lisa, and her two boys, Dylan and Jake.  As an extra-nice bonus, one of my co-workers, Amy, decided to join us for a bit, too.  She has two boys (Spencer and Payton), right around Dylan and Jake's age, so it was 4 little boys and Ava. :) 

Within minutes of getting there, Ava and Dylan were holding hands, walking together.  I have NO idea how that happened so quickly, but for some reason, I'm not surprised.  In fact, it reminded me a lot of the first time they met...Dylan was maybe 2 weeks old, so Ava would have been 6 weeks old.  Before we knew it, she had reached out and grabbed his hand in the crib...I still love that huge grin she has on her face!

Future prom dates!


3.5 years later...
(thanks for the pic, Lisa!)


Checkin' out the fish!
Payton, Spencer, Dylan, Ava, Jake, and Lisa


Mooo-ing?


Dylan's turn!


Perfect!
(and thank you again for the pic, Lisa!)


Lisa and Jake


In the CrAzY chicken house!  Seriously, it was nuts in there.


It's hard work walking so far...oh wait, it was actually more work for Lisa to haul these three around at the end!


We definitely had a good time, and all that fresh air helped to wear out both Ava and me.  She got a little cranky at one point, and Dylan had to ask her a few minutes later if she was done being cranky.  Ah, how boys learn so early that girls can be crabby one minute, and fine the next!

I think my very favorite story from the day is when Lisa noticed that Jake had half a cookie hanging out on his shoulder.  Lisa made a joke about it, Ava didn't understand why it was funny, and Dylan piped up with "Let me tell you why it's funny...the cookie was on his shoulder, and he wasn't eating it..."  I LOVE the fact that he took the time to explain the joke to Ava...I'm still giggling at that now.

There was also those 10 minutes where Ava was crabby and would contradict everything anyone would say.  Lisa said, very quietly to me, "This sun feels so good!"  And Ava, very quietly said, "No, it doesn't."  So then Lisa tried some reverse pyschology and told Ava how much she hated the sun, to which Ava responded, "Me too."  Ya know, for as crabby and sassy as Ava can be at times, she sure does make me laugh.

And I'm seeing more and more of me in her, which is a scary thing...gotta learn to keep the drama and emotions in check, kid! :)

We're getting excited about Easter tomorrow...we're meeting up with my friend Corinne for church, and then heading over to Great-Grandma Addy's house for a family dinner.  Should be a GREAT day!  We'll need to fit in a little Easter egg hunt around the house at some point, though...which reminds me...the Easter bunny needs to hop (haha) to it, and get that basket ready!

Happy Easter!

Comments

Lisa said…
That was such a fun day! Those kids are just too funny! I had forgotton about Dylan's comment. And I just LOVE that photo of them as newborns. So tiny!

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...