Skip to main content

A Little Brno and a Little Graz

Because we split our time in Vienna, I've decided to do that as a separate post, so here are our adventures in Brno, Czech Republic and Graz, Austria.  You'll have to excuse the time jump!

When Emilie purchased our train passes, we opted to buy the 5-day, 3 country pass, for the countries of Hungary, Austria, and the Czech Republic.  Even though we were overseas for more than a week, and we left our schedule pretty loose, we were busy, and had a hard time fitting everything in.  All I know is that I wanted to go to the Czech Republic.  So we made it work.

Thursday, November 11: We boarded the train in Vienna for Brno, the 2nd largest city in the Czech Republic (Prague being the 1st.)  Our rail passes were for 1st class, but for some reason, we missed out on the 1st class car on this part of the ride.  I don't want to be a snob or anything, but boy, 1st class is the way to go.

This was the longest train hauling cars that I have ever seen.  Seriously, it went on for as far as the eye could see.


It was a beautiful day in Brno!  The sun was a welcome relief after a few cloudy days in Budapest and Vienna.


We came across a farmer's market, so we decided to see what was for sale. I learned the one word in Czech that I will never forget: cibule, which is an onion.


I liked the combination of modern and traditional architecture shown here.


After wandering around for a bit, we stopped at a pizza place.  We got this amazing pizza, shown below.  The Czechs know how to make some good pizza pie!


At one point we noticed three things:
1. Everyone was converging into a main square, as there was a wine festival taking place.  What's not to like about that? 
2. We also noticed, at about the same time, that there was a high level of very good looking men in Brno. 
3. And the last thing?  Women who dyed their hair red had all chosen a very interesting shade of red.  Definitely not a natural shade.






We weren't in Brno very long - maybe 4 hours.  But it was enough to know that it would be worth coming back to Brno at some point in the future. 

And then we hopped on the train and went back to Vienna...it felt like coming home.  Which was good, as we were leaving again the next morning for Graz, and needed to rest for a bit.

Friday, November 12: Today was the day we were heading to southern Austria to visit Emilie's family.  Her cousin Amy, lives there, along with her husband and two girls: Isabella (9), and Sophia (6).  This was a much-needed break to visit with other people, as we had run out of things to say to each other.  And at this point, I was missing being around Ava, so I was craving some kid-time.  Plus it's always nice to experience a new place from a local perspective.

On the train...unfortunately, pictures don't do the Austrian Alps justice.




This reminded me of Northern Minnesota with the pine trees.




There is a department store that had been recently renovated, and they were serving drinks on the roof.  What a great introduction to the area!


This is Sophia.  She and I bonded very quickly...and she reminded me so much of Ava (4 years in the future), she instantly had a special place in my heart.



One of the trees the town will decorate for Christmas - it was huge!  That's Isabella and Sophia in front.




That night we had dinner at the restaurant by the Schlossberg (clock tower).  Another amazing view of Graz (which I wasn't able to capture in images), and a ton of steps to walk down to get to the bottom.


Unfortunately, I don't have any more pictures from our time there.  I was having too much fun hanging out.  We didn't do much...we went to the Spar (grocery store), and just enjoyed our time at their home.  We played with the girls, we chatted, we ate, we relaxed.  It was perfect.  I was sad to board the train to go back to Vienna later on Saturday afternoon.  But, I will always look back on my time in Graz with some awesome memories...(and a few new friends on Facebook!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...