Skip to main content

Tis the Season...for Sickness!

Poor little Ava...she had a great start to the week and then she got hit with some illness mid-week.  She has a tendancy to run high fevers, so it always seems worse than it really is.  Scott stayed with her on Wednesday and I stayed home with her on Thursday.  She had her 18-month appointment scheduled for Wednesday night, so it was convenient for her doctor to look her over and determine it was just a virus.  One bummer is that we need to go back to get her 18-month vaccines...since she had a fever, she couldn't get them at that time.  The clinic finally had the H1N1 vaccine in stock, so it looks like she will get it this year.

I've learned a few things from Ava being sick this week:
  • The Disney Channel has a lot of shows that are somehow related to each other.  Ava was watching the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the morning, and I never switched the channel to something else that afternoon.  Next thing I knew, Hannah Montana was performing on a cruise ship where Zack and Cody (of the Suite Life) have taken up residence, and the Wizards of Waverly Place kids were also on board.  I think there was at least 2 hours of the 3 shows being combined...honestly, I had no idea what was going on, but it was the perfect backdrop for the mind-numbing task I was performing for my job (loading data into our database, and performing QA tests on some new functionality.)  Miley Cyrus just made the fun meter hit an all-time high!
  • I've learned that I am the calm and rational one when it comes to parenting Ava.  As we were giving Ava her bath on Thursday night, we noticed that she had red spots all over her body.  Scott immediately jumped to Ava having the chicken pox, and maybe even having the measles...even though she's been vaccinated against both diseases AND she was splashing away and having fun in her bath.  I watch Private Practice...I know she's be miserable if she had the measles!  Ha!  Scott insisted that we call an 800 # (I have NO idea what number he was planning on calling...1-800-Fix-My-Kid??) to get an answer.  I calmly suggested that perhaps the spots were a side effect of her fever, like a heat rash.  So, at my prompting, he called her clinic and spoke to the doctor on call.  All I heard was, "Yup...ok...that's what we were thinking..."  Turns out that she, in fact, does not have either the chicken pox OR the measles.  Nope, her spots are just the last phase of whatever virus she had, and we didn't need to worry about them.  Whew...I guess I can calm down now...
It's pretty cute how over-the-top Scott gets when it comes to Ava.  It just goes to show how much he loves her.

So, no cute pics of our sick, spotty baby this week.  But, since we're heading down to KC in a few short days for Christmas, I'm sure we'll have lots to post once we get back.

Merry Christmas!  May your family and friends be blessed with endless joy this holiday season!

Comments

Lisa said…
Poor Ava! If she had to get sick, at least she got sick this past week and not this coming week. That would be no fun. Dads are funny like that! 18 months old already... can you believe it?? Have a great time in KC!

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

Preparing for Vacation

We had a low key week, which is rare in this house. Oh sure, there were fun field trips at Summer Power, a visit to the splash pad on a hot day, and a few crazy, rain storms, but it was an easy week. Well, there was that one time when we were out for dinner with G (Ava was with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug for an overnight stay and a trip to the Dakota County Fair - fun!) and G decided to hide behind my chair and puke all over me and the floor (at the restaurant.) Ugh. The good news is that he was just too full of chocolate milk...no illness! A quiet week, once in a while, is an okay thing! We're starting to prep for our vacation to the Wisconsin Dells...we don't take too many family vacations, so this is a big event for us. (Funny, I took a break from writing this post as Scott just asked me about planning a trip to Disney...we were debating the differences between going to California vs. Florida...pros and cons to each!) Yesterday, I showed G a video from one of the wat...