Skip to main content

Hola Cancun!

I took a little break from the blog last weekend, mainly because I ran out of time.  I spent the previous week completely swamped at work.  On Saturday, I was rushing around like crazy in the morning, and then spent 4+ hours at the Mall of America, so Ava could attend a birthday party at Nickelodeon Universe.  I decided not to stick around at that party, but found a cozy chair at a Caribou at the MOA, and managed to work for over 3 hours.  It was very busy, and very loud, and I was so very happy to get into my car, and head out with Ava when it was all done.  But, I'm glad that Ava had a great time at the party!

I didn't take Ava home from there, though...I took her over to Grandma Deb's.  When we walked in, G was playing in a box, and he let out a loud squeal when he saw us; Darla started whining, and we were instantly back to the chaos and noise!  Eventually everyone calmed down, and I was able to head out and meet up with Scott for a late night surf & turf dinner.  Once we got home, Scott watched some SNL, while I worked for a few more hours.  Finally, at 12:30am, I decided I was done, and ready to shut 'er down.  So I did.  I haven't checked my work email since 12:30a.m. on Sunday , January 18.  And it's been a fantastic break.

We finished some last minute packing (or for me, ALL of my packing) on Sunday morning, and headed out to meet up with our friends at the airport.  We even managed to get rock star parking, and squeezed in a Bloody Mary before getting on the plane.  A perfect start to our Caribbean vacation!


Our flight to Mexico was uneventful (as it should be), and the hotel wasn't too long of a transfer from the airport.  We checked in, got some drinks, and started to enjoy the warmth, the wonderful hospitality, and relaxing atmosphere. 

Some lovely flowers that were waiting for us in our room...along with champagne, and a fruit plate.  I'm glad we upgraded to the Club level - it was so convenient, for so many things!


This was the view from our hotel room on the 6th floor, looking out into the Caribbean.



Look far to the left and you'll see the lagoon - it was a great view, no matter which way you looked!


We managed to eat at almost all of the restaurants on property (French, Italian, American, and seafood)...the only one we didn't get into was the Mexican restaurant.  The food at the buffet was good, too, and there were plenty of snack bars located throughout the resort to make sure we were well fed.

We spent some time on the beach, reading and relaxing, but Tiff and I managed to squeeze in a 45-minute walk one day, just to check out the neighboring hotels.  Walking on the beach is tough work - and there were big waves to contend with!




We also spent a lot of time at the adult pool.  Although we love our kids, when we're on vacation, if they're not there with us, it's really nice not to have to see/hear other kids.  Is that horrible?  Probably!  Do I care?  Nope!


We didn't do any planned excursions this time, but we did get a few massages...one at a questionable place on the beach (but holy smokes, the lady who gave me my massage must have specialized in deep tissue - pretty sure I am bruised), and another one at the spa on property.  My massage therapist there was also incredibly strong, so now I'm convinced that tiny Hispanic women might be the most powerful people around.  Not kidding you.

The guys headed into downtown Cancun while we were getting massages, as they were craving some wings.  And that was the only time that any of us left the property.  It was fantastic not to have anything planned or scheduled...we all did what we wanted to do, when we wanted it!

One afternoon, we came back to the room, and I noticed we had two lovely swan towels on our bed, along with a rose.  And then I noticed the hearts on the wall and balloon by the bed.  It was a nice surprise, and very random, as we were the only couple in the group to get something like that in our room.  Very sweet!



On our last night there, we walked to the edge of the property and enjoyed listening to the waves crash into the beach.  There were quite a few cruise ships out at sea each night...the white dot in this photo is one of those.


Looking south, past our hotel...


There might have been one night with too many tequila shots, but we met some fun people from Missouri and Oregon that night.  And there might have been a very late night at the disco where we met an interesting couple from Europe (lucky them, they were there for 2 weeks!)

But, even though we had a great time on this vacation, we were both ready to head home yesterday afternoon...we missed the kids!  Neither of us missed our jobs, so I guess we can consider the vacation a success.  :)  We're already looking forward to the next one!

(Next week, I'll tell you all about a naughty, sassy little 6-year old who clearly didn't want her parents to be gone...) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

Last Week of School & Work 2023!

We just wrapped up the final school and work (for Dee) week of 2023! The kids both had spirit week/dress up days this past week, and there were fun parties for G, and a holiday assembly for Ava. Kirk Cousins (Vikings QB) was the surprise guest speaker at RHS this week. Ava doesn't really follow football, so when she texted me a few pics during the assembly, she said "The one guy is here. Football" Hahahaha! She mentioned she heard a rumor that SpongeBob was going to be there, but alas, just a pro football player. What a neat surprise for the kids (except for Ava, lol) I had a few fun events this past week, as well. We had a happy hour/celebration for a completed project at work on Tuesday night, and then my neighbors/book club headed out to the local winery for a cookie decorating event on Thursday evening. I'm happy we don't have a full calendar next week! Swimming was unexpectedly cancelled on Monday, which was A-OK with us. G has some congestion, so I was going