Skip to main content

Sounding it Out

I am so impressed by what Ava has learned in her first few weeks of Kindergarten...she is constantly sounding out words, singing and dancing around the house, and practicing her addition - on her fingers AND toes!

Tonight we picked up some popcorn to watch during a movie, and on the drive back to the house, Ava was sounding out all of the words on the box.  It just amazes me how they much she wants to learn...and it makes me very thankful for people who choose to be teachers (cause I sure couldn't do it!)

Every day she comes home and tells us about her adventures in art, music class, PE, the computer labs, the library, and even lunch!  I'm so pleased that each day she looks forward to going to school...and each night, she enjoys doing her homework.  Except practicing tying her shoes...that's not working out so great.  But, we'll get there - I'm sure of it!

We're also trying to get to the public library every few weeks...plus it gives us a chance to hang out with friends!  This same friend, Lynda, offered to watch Ava last Tuesday night, so Scott and I could go out for a kid-free dinner for our 8th wedding anniversary.  We kept in low-key but totally enjoyed our adult meal out...and when we picked up Ava, we found out that they had fed her duck for dinner - and she loved it!  I'm so grateful for having the chance to reconnect with Lynda - I know I've said it before, but there's something very comforting about spending time with a friend who has known me for over 15 years.  And even better that our kids adore each other!

Reading about Eloise, the Pirate!



Baby update: I'm 34 weeks, and getting ready!  I tweaked the birth plan we had put together for Ava's birth, and have put together directions for my friend Emilie, in the event that I go into labor while at work.  I'm going to start packing my bag, and need to put together a bag of stuff for the little guy, so it's easily accessible regardless of where we're living when he makes his grand appearance!

I'm still feeling pretty good, but I'm enjoying this countdown.  I am looking forward to getting rid of the heartburn and general discomfort that comes with pregnancy, and I really want to meet the little man who keeps making my belly bounce all over!

House update: We drove down this morning, and found the house all locked up!  Good thing one of the windows was unlocked - Scott opened one, climbed through and let us in the front door...so before we left, we kept one of the basement windows unlocked, to make it easy for our next B&E adventure.  It would be a shame not to be able to see all the progress that's happening on the inside!  And, boy...there is definitely progress!  The inside walls have been painted, and...so much more!

Almost done with siding...and the stone is up in front of the garage

 
Official address!!


The interior doors are just waiting to be installed...


Mud room floor is in!


Stone is in around the fireplace


Kitchen cabinets and microwave have been installed!



Ava and Baby G's bathroom...



My laundry room floor is in! YAY!


Our bedroom - so much room...


Our bathroom...excited to have a floor (yes, I know it's a small thing, but it makes me happy!)




My parents are coming next weekend for a visit, so hopefully we won't have to break in (too much) to show them how much more progress has been made. 

Right now, I'm heading out for a pedi with a good friend - we need to take advantage of this gorgeous fall day...winter will be here before we know it!  (And Scott was hunting up north all weekend, so this mom needs a break from the kiddo!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh