Skip to main content

Week 13 at Home: It's Summertime!

Ava finished up her sixth grade year this past Wednesday. But, let's be real. This entire week was just about her daily check-in, and then playing Minecraft and Roblox all day. Teachers used the last few days of school as a chance for kids to get caught up on their schoolwork. Ava did an amazing job staying on top of her assignments for the year, and she was rewarded by a few super easy last few days of school. We're so proud of how well she handled distance learning. I can't believe we have a 7th grader already!!!

It's also hard to believe that we're down to the last week of her being 11 years old. We're doing a low-key birthday party this year for her. One friend will come over and have a pizza dinner with us and then they'll have a sleepover. Should be fun and easy - and Ava's really looking forward to it!

Garrett enjoyed his first week of summer break, too. He attended the Y program at a local elementary school Mon-Wed this week. It was an adjustment to be on a schedule in the morning...we had commute time that we haven't had to factor in for many months, so that threw us off a bit. G was a little nervous to go somewhere new...and I was really nervous that he was going to be exposed to so many people. BUT, he had a fantastic time and looked forward to going the rest of the week. I think we all enjoyed the slower pace that Thursday and Friday brought, since both kids were at home (and there was no commuting!)

We also met up with G's teacher on Friday to pick up the memory book she had put together for him. It was so nice to see her and talk to her for a bit. We had 25 uninterrupted minutes of her time - it was glorious! And G was finally able to get a hug from her (and vice versa.) :)

I had a pretty busy week at work, and had a Thursday evening deployment for a project that I've been working on since last August. Everything went pretty well, but I was really, really tired on Friday (I worked until 11:30pm on Thursday night.) I ended up logging off a bit early on Friday afternoon, and G and I met up with the neighbors for a few hours...we enjoyed the sun, snacks, and a good chat. Even though this summer (year?) has been weird so far, at least we have great people that we can hang out with on a regular basis.

We finally got the last two bar stools delivered, so it's exciting that we will all have a place to belly up to the bar. But...we're still waiting for the rest of the basement furniture to arrive. We're trying to be patient, and know that the pandemic has impacted inventory on quite a few things in recent months. 

Last Sunday we celebrated my mom's birthday a few days early, and we were even able to sneak in a visit on her actual birthday, during the day. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM! 

This coming week, Grandma Deb is flying in from Florida. We're hoping for safe travels and no delays for her flight in, as she gets in really late on Wednesday night. I know she's excited to see everyone and hopefully enjoy the (slightly) cooler weather that Minnesota has to offer.

Looking forward to a good end to the weekend...the weather for Sunday looks great. Maybe we can even break out the mister if it gets really hot out there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...