Skip to main content

She's Getting So Big...

We had two big "milestones" this week with Ava...and now it seems like every time I look at her, I see a little girl, and not my little baby, anymore.  If you asked, she would be happy to tell you, "I am NOT a baby!  I'm a big girl!!"  But then every once in a while, she wants me to carry her like a baby from her bath to her bed, so really, she's sending me mixed messages. :)

I've also spent some time recently looking at past photos of her when she was first born.  I am constantly amazed that the little baby blob who cried, pooped, fussed, and generally made me tired for the last 4 years, has turned into this little girl, who is bright!  And who makes connections in her thought process!  And follows directions when given (by other people, of course, not me or her dad!)

So, what were those milestones, you might ask...

I took her in for her kindergarten screening on Friday.  They did the usual tests of measuring height, weight, hearing (ha!), vision, vocabulary, motor skills, etc.  And she did great!  It was so much fun to watch her interact with an adult, following directions, listening well (for the most part...hm), etc.  I very rarely get to see her in that kind of atmosphere, and I relished every minute of it.  Without a doubt, she is okay to go to school next (2013) fall!  We did talk a little bit about pre-school while we were there, and I think just to make sure we get her in, we're going to enroll her in one in SSP.  And if we move prior to the fall (fingers crossed), we'll have to see what the options are in the new area.  Debi does a fantastic job at daycare with her pre-school lessons, and I think adding a new teacher/group of kids will only benefit Ava's social skills, as well as her learning process.

The one thing that we need to work on?  Her grip holding a pencil.  Huh.  I had no idea that at three they needed to have that correct, already.  Turns out, Debi's been working on that with her for four months already, but she keeps reverting back to the full-hand grasp.  But, now we'll keep an eye on it at home whenever she's coloring, and will correct, as needed.

The second milestone was a purchase for her birthday...her first bike!  We were watching her ride her trike around a few weeks ago, and those little knees were going above the handlebars, so we thought it was time to get something new.  Once we figured out what size she needed, we had to choose the style.  No surprise, of course, but we got the princess one!  It has a (removable) carriage as the basket, flower foot pedals, streamers, a bell, and oh, is it girly!  She will LOVE it!  Now we just need to find a place to hide it...


Update on the moving situation:  we have our home inspection scheduled for the end of the month, so we're hoping that everything goes well, and we don't have anything major that needs to be updated/corrected.  I spent several hours in the basement yesterday, and I can say that the laundry room is 99% ready to go!  It just needs a good floor cleaning, and it will be ready to show.  It's been nice going through everything, and tossing out old items.  The greatest find from yesterday's purging processs?  My car touch-up paint - I've been looking for it for the last 3 years!

Today I'll be straightening up the furnace room, and then the only thing we have left to tackle is the office and the main living room in the basement.  Unfortunately, that will take a bit longer, but once we get into it, it should be easier to organize.  We've been so busy that the office became a "just-put- it-here-for-now-until-we-find-someplace-else" room.  But now...I'm ready to get it straightened up!

As for us...Scott's been working looooong hours lately.  This past week, he was working from 5am-10pm.  The poor guy is so exhausted - he needs to take a break.  Thank goodness we have a trip to CO coming up in a few weeks!

And me?  I've been backing someone at work while he's been in Ireland since May 9. And his project is right in the launch phase, so it's been taking almost all of my time at work.  He comes back to the office on Tuesday, and I am going to be so happy to turn this back to him!  I certainly don't mind backing someone up, and I've learned a lot in the process, but I'm ready to focus on my projects, now!

I'm just waiting for Ava to get home (she spent the night at Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey's house), and then we're going to get stuff done around here! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...