Skip to main content

If She Would Only Tell Us...

Scott and I are struggling with one aspect of potty training Ava...she's got #1 down, no worries there.  And she's certainly aware when she needs to poop - we find her in the corner, hiding behind furniture, doing everything possible so we don't find out that she has to poop (and is pooping.)  In fact, this morning, Scott found Ava in her room, hiding behind her laundry hamper, with the fabric top in her mouth, biting down on it because she was pushing so hard!

More often than not, we catch her halfway through, and we may or may not make it to the toilet in time.  I'm tired of cleaning out underwear...we've asked her if she likes the feel of poop in her pants.  We've asked her why she doesn't tell us when she has to go.  We've given her positive reinforcement, we've tried negative reinforcement....and nothing works.  We only get a shrug, and a tiny "I don't know why" as an answer.

This morning, she was so happy that she got to put a sparkly princess sticker on her chart (reward: light-up shoes after 8 successful times.)  However, 5 minutes later, we found her in the corner, once again (this was the hamper biting episode, as a matter of fact!)

If there are any suggestions that have worked for other kids, we are open to them.  At this point, I'm thinking we'll be sending her to school in pull-ups!  Although, I have to keep telling myself...how many adults do I know that aren't potty trained?  Chances are likely that one of these days, she'll actually want to go in the toilet and not her Rapunzel underwear!

Hoping for better potty luck in the coming week!

Comments

Lisa said…
Oh Dee... I wish I had some good advice, but number 2s were tricky in this house too. One day she'll just get it, but until then... ugh. How frustrating for you. It sounds like you have tried everything I can think of! Hang in there... I think we need another night out!

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...