Skip to main content

23,928 Steps

Never a dull moment!  Never a chance to be bored!  NEVER!  I remember the days when I had down time, both in my personal life and at work...and I can confidently say that those days are long gone.  We started off the week with an emergency HOA meeting...the tension was high near the end of the meeting, so I was happy to head home, and let the board do what we elected them to do.

Tuesday night was Ava's literacy assessment for 3rd grade.  We never find out exactly how she does, but she informed me that she got all of the words right, except for a few that she didn't know.  I'm confident in her reading ability, so I have no doubt that she did well.  Earlier in the summer, she had told me she was scared of third grade, since she was going to have to learn both cursive and multiplication.  After meeting with her new teacher, she is pumped about learning cursive!  She begged me to teach her how to write an "a" so she could start practicing.  I have NO idea what her teacher said to her, but clearly, she flipped a switch for Ava...awesome! 

Her new teacher seems really nice, so we're all excited to see what this new year will bring.  PLUS, Ava gets to be a buddy for a Kindergartner this year.  We ran into Ava's 1st grade teacher (who now teaches Kindergarten) and she mentioned that she is usually paired up with Ava's 3rd grade teacher for the buddy program.  Even better!  We also took a few minutes to pop in and say hi to Ava's 2nd grade teacher (also teaching Kindergarten this year...hm...) and even though she was with another student, she told Ava to stop by on the first day of school so she could say hi.  I think this will be a great year for Ava!

There's been a lot of change at G's daycare (his room's aide went back to school.  She was amazing, so she will be missed.  Hopefully she'll be back next summer!) With that change, they've also switched up his other teachers.  I wasn't quite sure what was happening, so I made a point of asking on Friday.  Sounds like the aide from his past toddler class will become his new teacher in a few weeks.  G loves her, so this will also be good!  Looking forward to seeing things settle down and get back into a routine.

I worked late on Wednesday night, as I had a big client deliverable for Thursday.  Work keeps me busy.  I can't believe how quickly my days fly by...and I'm very grateful for that.  I remember how long the work days feel when there isn't enough work to do.  I'd much rather be busy than not!

Saturday was a super busy, exhausting, but fun day!  The kids were picked up in the late morning by Grandma Deb, so we haven't seen them since yesterday.  They'll be hanging out at their house today, too...that gives Scott and I the chance to have some kid-free time to do house stuff, errands, etc.  I'm sitting at our table, enjoying the sunshiney view, drinking a coffee, and noticing how quiet it is without those little rugrats running around, making noise. (I say that with love, of course!)  We'll bring the chaos back into the house after we pick them up tonight (after we all enjoy a dinner with Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey.)

Yesterday morning, my friend Amy and I participated in our third Women Rock 5k. I hadn't seen Amy since she left BIW in April, so it was great to catch up.  The 5k flew by since we chatted non-stop during the entire time.  We did get rained on, but not to the point where it was uncomfortable.  Due to a race gear manufacturing issue, I ended up with a gift certificate to their onsite store, so we both did a little shopping before the race.  Fun!  When we left, I had around 11k steps. Not bad for 11am on a Saturday!


When I got home, I quickly unpacked my things, changed clothes, and got ready to head out to the MN State Fair.  For the 3rd year in a row, we have gone to the Fair the same day that I have done the 5k. You'd think I would learn about the proven exhaustion by now...but, nope!  My parents picked us up around 1pm, we grabbed a bus to the Fair, and then we stayed for 8 hours!  Since my parents are fairly new residents of MN, we thought it would be best if they had a guide for their first Fair experience.  We walked, talked, ate, and drank our way through the fair grounds. This year was the first time that I felt comfortable knowing where vendors were located, and could give accurate directions.  We were rained on a little bit, but overall, it was a nice, cool day to enjoy the "Great Minnesota Get-Together!"  And we managed to sneak in another 12k steps.  By the time we got home around 11pm, it was sweet relief to crawl into bed and hit the hay.  My feet are still sore. :)


Not too bad of crowds for a drizzly day


With the Fair's arrival, it's a clear signal that summer is coming to an end.  We need to make sure we're enjoying the last of the warm days...before we know it, apple picking, cozy sweaters, and cooler temps will be here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh