Skip to main content

Days of Gratitude

November is a perfect month to take a good look at life and count our blessings.  For the last two Novembers, I've done a daily check of something I'm thankful for in my life.  Some days it's silly, some days it's serious, but every day, it's sincere. 

I just read something a good friend posted on Facebook, and am inclined to agree:

People feel 25% happier when keeping a gratitude journal. (source: Super Soul Sunday, 18 Nov 2012)

By focusing on the positive, it leaves less room to focus on the negative points in life. And I think everyone can benefit from that choice.

Here's what I've been blessed with the last eighteen days (starting with November 1):
  • Day 1: Today, I'm thankful for people with a sense of humor. Unexpected laughter can make any situation bearable!
  • Day 2: Today, I'm thankful for the energy of four year olds, cause I'm feeling old!
  • Day 3: Today, I'm thankful for my circle of girlfriends. I am so blessed to have each and every one of them in my life. In the last 30 hours, I've had the joy of spending time with four different ones, and I couldn't be happier!
  • Day 4: Today, I'm thankful for this day of rest. It's amazing what a calm day around the house can do to restore my good spirits. Oh, and that extra hour was mighty nice, too!
  • Day 5: Today, I'm thankful for new activities that will ensure Ava will sleep well at night...first night of gymnastics, yay!
  • Day 6: Today, I'm thankful for the ongoing education in our everyday lives. I had no idea Ava would teach me all about echolocation at the young age of four!
  • Day 7: Today, I'm thankful for the brief moments of time that I have to myself. Whether it's on my drive home, or after everyone goes to bed...those minutes of solitude help keep me somewhat sane!
  • Day 8: Today, I'm thankful for Ava's laughter, dance moves, and little singing voice. They are just a few of many things that make this house a home.
  • Day 9: Today, I'm thankful it's Friday. Enough said!
  • Day 10: Today, I'm thankful for this quiet night at home, snuggling with my girl, watching a movie. Love those sweet moments!
  • Day 11: Today, I'm thankful for our veterans...I can't imagine how different our lives would be without the sacrifices these brave men and women have selflessly made for us. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • Day 12: Today, I'm thankful that hunting season is winding down. It's kinda nice having another adult in the house again
  • Day 13: Today, I'm thankful for grape pop. Yes, I realize this is a silly thing to be grateful for, but after a less than stellar day, it made me happy. Sometimes it takes just the smallest things to bring back a good mood!
  • Day 14: Today, I'm thankful for modern medicine. I am happy to report that this week of surgeries is turning out on the positive side. Life is such a fragile thing, and we should never, ever take it for granted!
  • Day 15: Today, I'm thankful for our furry friends. They drive me absolutely crazy at times, but then I'm reminded of their unconditional love, and remember that I could learn a lesson from them in that!
  • Day 16: Today, I'm thankful for our little family. Just finished up a great pizza and movie night, with lots of giggles!
  • Day 17: Today, I'm thankful for the little luxuries in life. By hiring someone to clean our house, I just got this Saturday back to spend with my family!
  • Day 18: Today, I'm thankful for my emotions. I may not always understand them, and sometimes they are a hindrance, but I rejoice at the way they touch my heart and accentuate my life.
We're getting ready to head out to Colorado for Thanksgiving to see my parents, so I have a feeling the next two days are going to fly by.  PLUS, we hired someone to clean our house once a month, so we need to make sure that things are picked up so she can do a great job.  I can't tell you how excited I am about that little change in our lives - I clean every Saturday, so that means that one weekend a month, I can have a break...do the grocery shopping early, take my time at Target, take Ava to the library, take a nap, whatever!  I'll gladly take that 4+ hours of time back!

So, what are YOU thankful for today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh