I just read something a good friend posted on Facebook, and am inclined to agree:
People feel 25% happier when keeping a gratitude journal. (source: Super Soul Sunday, 18 Nov 2012)
By focusing on the positive, it leaves less room to focus on the negative points in life. And I think everyone can benefit from that choice.
Here's what I've been blessed with the last eighteen days (starting with November 1):
- Day 1: Today, I'm thankful for people with a sense of humor. Unexpected laughter can make any situation bearable!
- Day 2: Today, I'm thankful for the energy of four year olds, cause I'm feeling old!
- Day 3: Today, I'm thankful for my circle of girlfriends. I am so blessed to have each and every one of them in my life. In the last 30 hours, I've had the joy of spending time with four different ones, and I couldn't be happier!
- Day 4: Today, I'm thankful for this day of rest. It's amazing what a calm day around the house can do to restore my good spirits. Oh, and that extra hour was mighty nice, too!
- Day 5: Today, I'm thankful for new activities that will ensure Ava will sleep well at night...first night of gymnastics, yay!
- Day 6: Today, I'm thankful for the ongoing education in our everyday lives. I had no idea Ava would teach me all about echolocation at the young age of four!
- Day 7: Today, I'm thankful for the brief moments of time that I have to myself. Whether it's on my drive home, or after everyone goes to bed...those minutes of solitude help keep me somewhat sane!
- Day 8: Today, I'm thankful for Ava's laughter, dance moves, and little singing voice. They are just a few of many things that make this house a home.
- Day 9: Today, I'm thankful it's Friday. Enough said!
- Day 10: Today, I'm thankful for this quiet night at home, snuggling with my girl, watching a movie. Love those sweet moments!
- Day 11: Today, I'm thankful for our veterans...I can't imagine how different our lives would be without the sacrifices these brave men and women have selflessly made for us. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
- Day 12: Today, I'm thankful that hunting season is winding down. It's kinda nice having another adult in the house again
- Day 13: Today, I'm thankful for grape pop. Yes, I realize this is a silly thing to be grateful for, but after a less than stellar day, it made me happy. Sometimes it takes just the smallest things to bring back a good mood!
- Day 14: Today, I'm thankful for modern medicine. I am happy to report that this week of surgeries is turning out on the positive side. Life is such a fragile thing, and we should never, ever take it for granted!
- Day 15: Today, I'm thankful for our furry friends. They drive me absolutely crazy at times, but then I'm reminded of their unconditional love, and remember that I could learn a lesson from them in that!
- Day 16: Today, I'm thankful for our little family. Just finished up a great pizza and movie night, with lots of giggles!
- Day 17: Today, I'm thankful for the little luxuries in life. By hiring someone to clean our house, I just got this Saturday back to spend with my family!
- Day 18: Today, I'm thankful for my emotions. I may not always understand them, and sometimes they are a hindrance, but I rejoice at the way they touch my heart and accentuate my life.
So, what are YOU thankful for today?