Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mommy's Pooped

I am beat.  In fact, I am currently soaking my feet in a tub full of warm water.  Scott left for Canada late on Wednesday night (like 11:30pm late...)  He went to the Great White North with the Winfield family (sans Tiffany and Isabel, however) for their annual fishing trip.

Now, I love my husband.  But every once in a while, I get really, REALLY excited to have the house to myself - well, Ava's here, as well as the three dogs, but still I am the ONLY adult.  And it's nice.  And things stay neat and tidy, just like I like them. BUT, on the flip side, I am the ONLY adult.  This means no "breaks" from watching Ava, or the dogs (and yes, they are work, too!)  It means stepping up and preparing all of the meals (Scott's the cook in our family - when I'm in charge, things get real simple...), doing all the housework, outdoor work, daycare dropoff/pickup, etc.  It's a lot of work.  Once again, these past few days makes me applaud all of the single parents out there. I cannot imagine how they do it.

Unfortunately, we've had a rough few days.  Lucky (our youngest beagle - and no, she's not a puppy, she's six years old) freaked out the other night, and tore up a bunch of carpeting in our basement.  And then she had the nerve to puke it up everywhere.  I have not been that angry in a very, very long time.  I've cooled down a bit, and let Lucky get back on my good side, but boy, she knew she was in trouble!

Ava's been getting a little tough at daycare - lots of hitting, pushing, "NO!"s, and even a big bite out of  Mommy's leg.  Granted, she will be two in less than a week, so I'm fully aware that we're entering the terrible twos...I just didn't realize how much patience it was going to take.  Needless to say, that's been a little draining lately.

And today, I decided to paint Ava's room...all by myself, with no one else availble to watch Ava.  What was I thinking?!  Overall, it went okay, but there were a few meltdowns (from both of us), a whole bunch of paint splatters, and a very sore right hand on me.  I forgot how much work it is to prepare (fill, sand, clean, tape) and then paint the room.  With multiple coats.  I do believe that second coat was the fastest I had ever done - at that point, I just didn't care anymore.  It turned out great's a really pale yellow, with just a hint of green.  Ava's room is currently decorated with yellows, greens, and pinks, so this complements the decor much better than the previous tan did.  Eventully, I will post pics. :)

So, here I sit, still soaking my feet, thinking about all of the things that we still need to do tomorrow. In the meantime, here are some cute shots from this past week.

Ava packed up one of my old purses with her cell phone, sunglasses, and a spare (toy) bottle.  As one point, she was laying back on the couch with the sunglasses on, pretending to text (uh oh)!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not well-versed in styling hair.  So, imagine how happy I was when Ava came home from daycare with a little ponytail thing.  It was very cute and Ava seemed to like it, until Scott tried to take it out.  Bad idea.  He had no idea what he was doing - and it ended in tears.

And I realize these pics aren't of Ava - they're my flowers.  And they make me happy.

(Evil Lucky in the background...)

Have a great week!  Next time I post, Ava will be TWO!  Happy early birthday to my girl on June 18!


Lisa said...

Ugh. Home alone as the only adult w/ a toddler entering the terrible twos... I feel your pain. Erik was out of town overnight on Tuesday and it was tough. Dylan was also overtired from the weekend and I am not getting around as well these days! Makes me very happy to not be a single mom and made me VERY happy to see Erik when he got home!

Love the story of Ava texting with her sunglasses on! Can you believe they are already (almost) two?!?

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Ava! Dee, you are a brave woman to attempt painting alone with a two year old. Kuddos to you! I can't wait to see pictures.