Skip to main content

Dude, Where's My Limo?

I have always struggled with planning for Ava's birthday each year.  I get very, very anxious while planning it...What if no one shows up?  What if there isn't enough to do?  What if the kids all hate it?  (So strange, because I couldn't really give two hoots about what people think,,,,but for some reason, when it comes to Ava's birthday party, it's a massive concern for me.  She certainly is never this worried about it!)

In any case, we've gone the "go-somewhere-and-pay-for-a-space-and-activities" route.  Last year, we hosted the party at our house...and it was chaos.  She's already started thinking about what she wants to do this year.  I've had to reign her back in a bit - such grandiose plans!

Ava's attended several parties for one of her little friends, and I've always been impressed with how they manage to keep things fun and entertaining, and don't visually stress out about it.  Haha.  So, a few weeks ago, I RSVPd yes for Ava to attend her friend's birthday party (held yesterday.)  The dad and I exchanged several emails, including details on a surprise where a limo was going to pick up each of the friends at their houses and take them to the Mall of America for the party.  I did such a good job and didn't tell anyone in this house (including Scott) about this surprise...because I wanted it to be a surprise!

So, yesterday rolls around, and I'm super excited for Ava, and she doesn't know why.  We were waiting in our office, and I kept nonchalantly looking out the front window.  Except I guess I wasn't that subtle because Ava wanted to know why I kept looking up any time a car drove by.  So, the pickup time comes...and goes.  And I start to get a bit nervous, but not too much, because ground transportation can be off by a few min.  But, once 15 min rolled by without the limo starting to show up, I was concerned...there's no way they could have been that badly delayed.  And then I get an email from the dad.  Ava was the last stop, and the driver forgot to pick her up!  The driver had the music up, and couldn't hear all of the kids who were yelling that he forgot about their friend! 

After some frantic phone calls to me, the dad advised that the limo would come back and get her once the drop off was done, unless I could bring her up to the party at the Mall of America?  Ah no...Scott was out of town, and G was napping.  So, another frantic (and a bit teary) phone call to my mom proved to have the answer.  I let the dad know that YES, the limo could come back to get Ava, but what I didn't tell him is that I would be following them in my car (not crazy about having my kid get into a limo by herself, without any adults.)  My mom came over to watch G, while I went out for this drive.  I didn't want Ava to miss out on the limo ride, because it's such a cool thing...this way, we got the best of both worlds.

So, the big long limo came to get Ava...she hopped in, and I started my spy mission.  Except it turns out that I would be a horrible spy.  I somehow managed to get right in FRONT of the limo.  Then I made it through a light that he didn't, since he was driving extra slow (that's a good thing, right?)  So, after we left Apple Valley, I never saw him again, even though I pulled over on the highway to wait for him to pass.  I'm not sure how I missed a big white stretch SUV, but I did!  Ava had put on her phone watch before she left, and I kept checking in with her to make sure she was ok.  Plus, I used the auto-locate and auto-answer functionality of her watch to keep tabs on her. Traffic by the MOA was crazy, so she didn't actually make it to the party until 3:15 (1.5 hours after her pick up time!)  The dad came and met her at the limo, and they made a big deal of her entrance into the party. 




She had a great time at the party - the Microsoft Store was a hit!  They played video games, had cake, opened presents, and had a blast.  She was sad that she missed most of the party, but I tried to talk her through the situation.  The dad felt so, so bad...he apologized to me at least 10 times yesterday, so I don't want Ava to linger on the screw-up, but instead focus on the fun that she DID have.

When the limo came to drop her off at the house, there were a few neighborhood kids walking by, and they stopped to watch the proceedings...they looked impressed, and Ava loved every minute of it!  The dad hopped out of the limo to apologize in person, and then the limo started to take off without him.  For real, that driver needs to pay better attention!

So, now Ava's wanting to have her birthday party at the Apple Store and go to Nickelodeon Universe and have a sleepover with all of her friends and their American Girl dolls and and and...etc, etc, etc.  OMG, I think we need to work on keeping it simple!

Did I mention that her friend's dad is the president of the PTO, and I just attended my first meeting on Thursday night?  So, he's acutely aware of who I am, especially since I was in the front row on Thursday, and had asked some questions.  On a side note, I enjoyed the PTO meeting and am interested in attending more of them...they desperately need help and volunteers for some of their school programs/projects.  I went to the meeting with a neighborhood friend and we agreed to volunteer together on some things...more fun with friends!


G's listening ears appear to be broken. He's having a hard time following directions at daycare AND at home.  His teacher brought it up to me when I picked him up on Friday - mostly because that's not like him.  He's a mischievous little guy...I didn't realize how well-behaved Ava is until I had a little stinker like him!

Last night the three of us enjoyed a movie and then the two kids took a bath together in our big bathtub.  Poor G never gets to take baths...he always showers with Scott, so he was having a blast last night in the tub.  They were both so good last night...it was wonderful to hang out with both of them, and give them so many kisses and cuddles.  Now that they're getting older, it's getting easier to watch them both - plus, Ava's a great helper.

And onto some super fun news, I booked our summer trip to NY! Ava, my mom, and I will be heading out in mid-June to stay for a looong weekend in Brooklyn.  Having my mom there will be a blessing, plus we'll be visiting with my aunt (my dad's sister) so it'll be some great family catch-up time, as well.  I also started researching for the trip to Napa in August and have some ideas!  FUN!

Ok, this post is long enough...I had a lot to say about the limo. Happy Sunday! Don't forget to turn the clocks forward one hour!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

Last Week of School & Work 2023!

We just wrapped up the final school and work (for Dee) week of 2023! The kids both had spirit week/dress up days this past week, and there were fun parties for G, and a holiday assembly for Ava. Kirk Cousins (Vikings QB) was the surprise guest speaker at RHS this week. Ava doesn't really follow football, so when she texted me a few pics during the assembly, she said "The one guy is here. Football" Hahahaha! She mentioned she heard a rumor that SpongeBob was going to be there, but alas, just a pro football player. What a neat surprise for the kids (except for Ava, lol) I had a few fun events this past week, as well. We had a happy hour/celebration for a completed project at work on Tuesday night, and then my neighbors/book club headed out to the local winery for a cookie decorating event on Thursday evening. I'm happy we don't have a full calendar next week! Swimming was unexpectedly cancelled on Monday, which was A-OK with us. G has some congestion, so I was going