Skip to main content

My Baby Lilac Tree

Work continued on the retaining wall last Monday...the weather was perfect, and Scott decided it was best just to get the job done, even though he was tired from working hard both days of the holiday weekend already.  Scott and my dad got all of the rock laid down, and then we took a trip to Gerten's to pick out the plants.  Any time I had been to Gerten's, I had stayed inside, or focused on the annuals...but this time, we ventured into the perennials.  We had a rough idea of what we wanted before we bought the plants, but it did change a few times while we were there...and I love the end result!  I have an extra soft spot in my heart for my ornamental lilac tree...now all we need is a spot for a magnolia tree somewhere, and my landscaping wishes will have come true!

So pretty in the backseat of our truck!


I was trying to keep the kids entertained, and out of the way, while Scott and my dad worked.  Bubbles are always a hit!


G had fun trying to squish the bubbles


Done! 
(Almost...the cap still needs to be put on top of the wall, but that is at least one full day's work, so that won't happen for a while.)


Later that afternoon, while G was sleeping, Ava decided to check out the new slip-n-slide that we had bought.  It was a little chilly to be running through it, but she still had a great time. I think it would be amazing on a really hot summer day.  Can't wait for G to have a run at it!


On Monday night (the 4th), Ava and I walked down the block to watch the Apple Valley fireworks from our "secret" watching spot. I am still so surprised that no one else goes there to watch them; it's a perfect view!  There was a random guy who was walking his dog, and he sat down to watch them, too, but that was it.  Ava was creeped out by the bugs, and kept asking "was that the Grand Finale?" can we go home?!"  Next year, we'll remember the bug spray...  As we were walking home, I stopped and chatted with a neighbor who was out front, and when his wife came by a few minutes later, she said, "I found the perfect spot to watch fireworks!"  And guess where it was? :)  Looks like we'll have company next year!

So, after a great long weekend, filled with perfect weather, we were due for a storm.  On Tuesday night, a fairly large storm him the metro area.  I drove home through it, and all I could think of was my new baby tree.  When I came around the corner, I saw my little tree, laying horizontal, on the ground.  The good news is that the bamboo stake had broken, but my little tree was flexible enough, that it just bent over, and didn't snap.  Scott has since re-staked it, with a metal stake, so hopefully, this won't happen again.  And, the tree should be fine!

One of the cottonwoods in our backyard wasn't so lucky...half of it fell onto our garden.  Scott ended up cutting the whole tree down.



Our oldest dog, Darla, hasn't been doing so well this week - she isn't eating much food.  We might need to make a decision soon about her.  She just turned 16, so she's had a very good, long life...and she is very well loved in this family.


We had bring your dog to work day on Friday (no, I never bring my dogs), and my cube neighbor just got a new puppy...look at this little girl!  Zoe (dog) and Cody (co-worker) had a constant crowd of people around them on Friday morning.  Zoe is so, so cute...she tried eating my toes.  I forgot how funny puppies are...


I had Friday afternoon off, and ended up meeting Scott and G for lunch (G had a fever, so we kept him home from daycare.)  It was nice to kick the weekend off with some family time.  G and I then headed home so Scott could get to an appointment, and we snuggled for an hour before Grandma Deb came to pick up G.  He's been with Deb and Whitey for the whole weekend, reveling in all of the attention, I'm sure!

And what does a family do when their toddler is elsewhere?  We explore local art parks, go out for apps and drinks, and then head to a new movie.  We had a really nice Saturday, complete with perfect weather.

Ava and I wandered into the woods at the Caponi Art Park, and came across this lovely, lily pad filled pond.


This snake was huge!  We both thought it might be a little scary to come across something like this, if it was real!




Rolling hills lead to the sculptures...


I love this scuplture...reminds me of how Ava and G hug me


Watching The Secret Life of Pets - super cute movie!  I gave both Darla and Lucky big hugs when we got home so they know how much we love them!


Today should be just as fun...Ava, my Mom, and I are heading out to a waffle restaurant in St Paul, and then to check out a very cool kids bookstore in Minneapolis.  I'm super excited that Ava's at the point where we can take her places like this, and she enjoys them.  G will be at home, spending some good quality time with Scott (or napping, perhaps.)  Can't wait to see that little guy this morning!

It's been a great family week...bummer that work has to interrupt it tomorrow! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh