Sunday, February 28, 2016

Pink Unicorn

It must have been a good week...I'm still in bed right now, and am completely exhausted, even after 9+ hours of sleep.  Or, I'm sick.  We shall see which is the truth!

Little G had some rough nights...not sure if he's entering a phase with nightmares, but on several occasions this week, he started screaming in the middle of the night, which of course woke me up. Each time, I would go into his room, gather him up in a blanket, and rock him back to sleep. I love, love, love the bonding time with him, but in the back of my mind, I'm concerned that I'm creating a habit that is going to be really hard to break...  He slept great last night, so I'm hoping this is a passing phase. (Although I do know that at some point he won't let me rock him like that I should enjoy it while I have it...)  (This is really causing conflicting emotions for me!!)

I chaperoned the 2nd grade field trip to the Science Museum on Friday, and OMG, I don't know how teachers do this. I had four kids in my group...two boys and two girls. One of the girls was Ava so I wasn't as concerned about her not listening, but I was really nervous about the two boys. Turns out, they were the best of my group! The other girl was constantly running off, and not staying with us, Ava is Ava, so there was 50% listening there...but the two boys stuck with me! They sat by me at lunch (both girls ran off to join other groups) and the boys wanted me to sit in between them at the Omni movie (again, both girls wanted to sit by their friends...keeping in mind that one of them is my daughter.. Hm!) A friend pointed out to me that it's most likely the difference in the genders at that age...boys still want to be with their moms, while girls are more social and want to be with their friends.  Whatever it was, I'm thankful for it! (And that's another reason why I've been giving G some extra squeezes this week...he's my little mama's boy!)

There was one point where Ava popped up from her seat and came running to me during lunch at the Science Museum...tooth #3 finally fell out! I had packed an apple for her, hoping it would help the cause, and sure bite in, and out it came! The lost tooth was quite the topic on the bus ride home.  Overall, the field trip was great, but I was so tired by the end...watching those kids really wore me out. I think I can only handle one field trip a year!

Yay for #3!

One of Ava's friends brought a tape dispenser with her to the Science Museum. This was no ordinary tape was in the shape of a pink unicorn, and the tape was rainbow colored. While on the bus, they decorated all of the girls in the vicinity with tape, including me.  Such a random thing to bring on a field trip...

That night the tooth fairy needed to come, and we thought there might be a free pass...Ava had last minute plans to go to a friend's house for a sleepover, and she asked to make sure the tooth fairy came in her absence. Um, you bet!! But, those plans changed, and she ended up at home instead. The tooth fairy got smart this time and had asked to have the tooth left on her bookcase, and not under her pillow. There was a small question about that, but the tooth fairy's requests carry weight, so in the end, the tooth ended up on the bookcase. Twice that night the tooth fairy tried to visit Ava, but Ava ended up sitting up in bed and asking what was going on. Foiled again! Finally, the tooth fairy just took the box/tooth while talking to Ava and slyly left a golden dollar in its place. But smart little Ava kept asking "What do you have in your hand? Do you have my tooth? What's that noise [the sound of the tooth sliding in the box]?" The tooth fairy decided a 2am cocktail might not be completely inappropriate by the end of that discussion!

But, the next morning, Ava was super excited to show us what the tooth fairy had left for her, so hopefully, her belief continues on...

Yesterday was family fun day, and we started nice and early! We all went out to breakfast, went shopping to get Scott some new boots and shoes, and then we went to the zoo! Yesterday was a gorgeous day, weather wise, so we knew it would be crazy there...but I don't think we knew how crazy it would be. The line for entrance was several hundred people long, and spilled out into the parking lot. Luckily, we are zoo members, so we had a very short wait in the member line, and were inside within minutes of getting there. We had so much fun yesterday! This was the first time that G really noticed the animals and he was having a blast running around and looking at them. Especially the we were walking, he would stop every 5 feet, do a lunge (not sure why, but it was part of his routine) and roar like a tiger.

Ava really liked the pink flamingos...can't imagine why...

G was fascinated with the water exhibits

The animals were even out and about, enjoying the weather too!

Side note: G and I have read a book about a little lion who needs to learn to share his toys. At one point, the little lion gathers up all of his toys and yells, "Mine, mine, mine!" So yesterday, when I was asking what sound animals makes, G was mimicking them really well...and then I asked what sound a lion makes and he yells, "Mine, mine, mine!" That stopped me in my tracks and gave me the giggles. So cute!

We were just leaving for dinner last night, and Ava's little friend came over (the same one from Friday night) and invited her to a sleepover last night, so Ava's been gone since 5:30pm...having lots of fun, I'm sure!  It gave Scott and I a good night with just G...we had a nice dinner out and then did some shopping before we came home.  At that point, we were all pooped and ready to call it a night.  G went to bed super late (he's still sleeping right now), Scott's knee was hurting from all of the walking, and I decided that I must be getting a cold.  Family fun day did us all in! :)

Getting ready for the Get Lucky 7k in a few weeks!

We were waiting for Scott to get off the phone so decided to take some selfies...

For once, I think we look alike!!  It must be the eyes and eyebrows!

Today should be nice and low-key...hanging around the house, and getting ready for a new week.  And then it's MARCH!  Hard to believe that spring is really almost here!

No comments: