Skip to main content

Pink Unicorn

It must have been a good week...I'm still in bed right now, and am completely exhausted, even after 9+ hours of sleep.  Or, I'm sick.  We shall see which is the truth!

Little G had some rough nights...not sure if he's entering a phase with nightmares, but on several occasions this week, he started screaming in the middle of the night, which of course woke me up. Each time, I would go into his room, gather him up in a blanket, and rock him back to sleep. I love, love, love the bonding time with him, but in the back of my mind, I'm concerned that I'm creating a habit that is going to be really hard to break...  He slept great last night, so I'm hoping this is a passing phase. (Although I do know that at some point he won't let me rock him like that anymore...so I should enjoy it while I have it...)  (This is really causing conflicting emotions for me!!)

I chaperoned the 2nd grade field trip to the Science Museum on Friday, and OMG, I don't know how teachers do this. I had four kids in my group...two boys and two girls. One of the girls was Ava so I wasn't as concerned about her not listening, but I was really nervous about the two boys. Turns out, they were the best of my group! The other girl was constantly running off, and not staying with us, Ava is Ava, so there was 50% listening there...but the two boys stuck with me! They sat by me at lunch (both girls ran off to join other groups) and the boys wanted me to sit in between them at the Omni movie (again, both girls wanted to sit by their friends...keeping in mind that one of them is my daughter.. Hm!) A friend pointed out to me that it's most likely the difference in the genders at that age...boys still want to be with their moms, while girls are more social and want to be with their friends.  Whatever it was, I'm thankful for it! (And that's another reason why I've been giving G some extra squeezes this week...he's my little mama's boy!)

There was one point where Ava popped up from her seat and came running to me during lunch at the Science Museum...tooth #3 finally fell out! I had packed an apple for her, hoping it would help the cause, and sure enough...one bite in, and out it came! The lost tooth was quite the topic on the bus ride home.  Overall, the field trip was great, but I was so tired by the end...watching those kids really wore me out. I think I can only handle one field trip a year!

Yay for #3!
 

One of Ava's friends brought a tape dispenser with her to the Science Museum. This was no ordinary tape dispenser...it was in the shape of a pink unicorn, and the tape was rainbow colored. While on the bus, they decorated all of the girls in the vicinity with tape, including me.  Such a random thing to bring on a field trip...

That night the tooth fairy needed to come, and we thought there might be a free pass...Ava had last minute plans to go to a friend's house for a sleepover, and she asked to make sure the tooth fairy came in her absence. Um, you bet!! But, those plans changed, and she ended up at home instead. The tooth fairy got smart this time and had asked to have the tooth left on her bookcase, and not under her pillow. There was a small question about that, but the tooth fairy's requests carry weight, so in the end, the tooth ended up on the bookcase. Twice that night the tooth fairy tried to visit Ava, but Ava ended up sitting up in bed and asking what was going on. Foiled again! Finally, the tooth fairy just took the box/tooth while talking to Ava and slyly left a golden dollar in its place. But smart little Ava kept asking "What do you have in your hand? Do you have my tooth? What's that noise [the sound of the tooth sliding in the box]?" The tooth fairy decided a 2am cocktail might not be completely inappropriate by the end of that discussion!

But, the next morning, Ava was super excited to show us what the tooth fairy had left for her, so hopefully, her belief continues on...

Yesterday was family fun day, and we started nice and early! We all went out to breakfast, went shopping to get Scott some new boots and shoes, and then we went to the zoo! Yesterday was a gorgeous day, weather wise, so we knew it would be crazy there...but I don't think we knew how crazy it would be. The line for entrance was several hundred people long, and spilled out into the parking lot. Luckily, we are zoo members, so we had a very short wait in the member line, and were inside within minutes of getting there. We had so much fun yesterday! This was the first time that G really noticed the animals and he was having a blast running around and looking at them. Especially the tigers...as we were walking, he would stop every 5 feet, do a lunge (not sure why, but it was part of his routine) and roar like a tiger.



Ava really liked the pink flamingos...can't imagine why...


G was fascinated with the water exhibits



The animals were even out and about, enjoying the weather too!

Side note: G and I have read a book about a little lion who needs to learn to share his toys. At one point, the little lion gathers up all of his toys and yells, "Mine, mine, mine!" So yesterday, when I was asking what sound animals makes, G was mimicking them really well...and then I asked what sound a lion makes and he yells, "Mine, mine, mine!" That stopped me in my tracks and gave me the giggles. So cute!

We were just leaving for dinner last night, and Ava's little friend came over (the same one from Friday night) and invited her to a sleepover last night, so Ava's been gone since 5:30pm...having lots of fun, I'm sure!  It gave Scott and I a good night with just G...we had a nice dinner out and then did some shopping before we came home.  At that point, we were all pooped and ready to call it a night.  G went to bed super late (he's still sleeping right now), Scott's knee was hurting from all of the walking, and I decided that I must be getting a cold.  Family fun day did us all in! :)

Getting ready for the Get Lucky 7k in a few weeks!


We were waiting for Scott to get off the phone so decided to take some selfies...


For once, I think we look alike!!  It must be the eyes and eyebrows!


Today should be nice and low-key...hanging around the house, and getting ready for a new week.  And then it's MARCH!  Hard to believe that spring is really almost here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh