Skip to main content

Pest Control

Our fun times came to a screeching halt this week when we realized that Ava picked up lice from somewhere.  This was our first experience with it, but obviously, we had both heard how tough it was to deal with them in the aftermath.

And it's all true.  I've spent hours this week, treating and combing through Ava's hair, examining her hair strands, looking for any last little nits that I can find.  I have done a gajillion loads of laundry, all in hot-hot-hot water, so we can sleep peacefully knowing that we don't have any louse of the loose.  I have learned SO much about lice this week, and my fingers are crossed that we have eradicated them.  It doesn't appear that Scott, G, or I have had any little visitors, but we'll keep watching ourselves closely the next few weeks.  The good news is that I now know exactly what to look for, and can nip it in the nit, right away!

One of my coworkers mentioned that tea tree oil is a natural deterrent, so I've purchased some and will be adding it to everyone's shampoo, to help ward off those little buggers. 

On the positive side, I had a great week at work - very productive, with two site walkthroughs going really well.  Ava had her fall conferences this past Wednesday, and she's doing great at school.  She's above average when it comes to math, excels at reading, but could work on her handwriting.  Now we know what to focus on at home!  A few of my standard questions are, "Does she play well with other kids?  Does she have friends?"  Her teacher confirmed that yes, she's always off and running around, playing with her classmates, and in fact, she's very, very kind to a girl in her class who needs that extra encouragement.  As Mrs P. said, "Ava's a real hunny."  And that warms my heart!

Counting her Halloween loot - I think she got well over 100 pieces of candy!


Hunting season is upon us, so I was flying solo as the only parent this weekend.  Grandma Deb helped us out by picking up and keeping Ava overnight on Friday, so I had some really great quality time with little G.  He's doing so well at daycare...he's learning, he's putting words together in sentences, he's dancing all around, and his throw is getting to be pretty decent.  His latest obsession is anything with a football on it - pictures, clothing, pjs, whatever.  If we could somehow get Mickey Mouse with a football, his mind would be blown.  We've got one more year before we can sign him up for any type of sport, but guaranteed, we're going to get that kid out there (and if he doesn't like it, that's ok!) 

Yesterday morning, we checked out the craft show at the high school.  It's fairly large, and I was able to start knocking a few things off the Christmas list.  The only bummer was near the end when we had stopped to look at a booth, and Ava backed up into it, and a ton of their crafts (wooden signs, decor) fell on top of G's head, while he was in his stroller.  He ended up with a cut over his hear, and a decent size bump, but luckily, no crafts were broken.  I was so shaken up, though, and have been keeping a close eye on G...he seems to be okay, but ugh.  I also used this as a learning lesson with Ava...we tell her constantly that she needs to watch where she walks, and maybe, just maybe, this will help it sink in as to why she needs to be aware of her surroundings.  And, I did end up buying some decor from that booth, so there's one positive that came out of it!

This weekend has been a bit more low key than the last few, and I'm super thankful for the downtime.  It appears the holidays are upon us, so I need to start focusing my energy on that, and making sure I don't procrastinate when it comes to everything holiday-related!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

Last Week of School & Work 2023!

We just wrapped up the final school and work (for Dee) week of 2023! The kids both had spirit week/dress up days this past week, and there were fun parties for G, and a holiday assembly for Ava. Kirk Cousins (Vikings QB) was the surprise guest speaker at RHS this week. Ava doesn't really follow football, so when she texted me a few pics during the assembly, she said "The one guy is here. Football" Hahahaha! She mentioned she heard a rumor that SpongeBob was going to be there, but alas, just a pro football player. What a neat surprise for the kids (except for Ava, lol) I had a few fun events this past week, as well. We had a happy hour/celebration for a completed project at work on Tuesday night, and then my neighbors/book club headed out to the local winery for a cookie decorating event on Thursday evening. I'm happy we don't have a full calendar next week! Swimming was unexpectedly cancelled on Monday, which was A-OK with us. G has some congestion, so I was going