Skip to main content

Super smarts!

In the aftermath of being overworked for months, this past week was a pleasant surprise.  Is this what it's like to leave at a decent time each night?  And to sleep in until my alarm goes off (as opposed to waking up at 3am and working for hours before leaving for work)?  It was amazing!  And most likely short-lived, but I will enjoy it while it's here!

We had Ava's conferences this past Wednesday, but she wasn't feeling well, so Scott stayed at home with the kids, while I trekked over to her school and met with Mrs. M.  We had a fantastic discussion about Ava, kids, life, etc.  There was a 15-min break between our conference time, and the next session, so we were able to extend our discussion for a few extra minutes.  And then I made an impromptu stop at the book fair, and picked up some new books for both kids.  Ava's moving into chapter books, so that's a big jump - and it opens up so many new options for reading material!

A few fun facts from Ava's conferences:

  • The next family that came in belonged to the little girl with whom Ava has been getting into trouble.  It was nice to meet the parents, and we both agreed that the girls should stay far away from each other.  Sounds like they are both fairly smart, and end up feeding off of each other.
  • Speaking of smarts...Ava took a standardized test in December, and she scored so high on it that she is going to start attending an enriched/gifted class once a week.  Just Ava and one other little girl were selected to attend from her classroom, and it sounds like some classrooms didn't have any children chosen to attend.  We are so proud of her!
  • Mrs M. was describing how Ava is very matter-of-fact when it comes to doing things...and during her description, I realized that's exactly what my work style is.  "These are the facts, and if you don't like them, too bad."  I've been stretching myself at work a bit over the last year, and have discovered that awkward conversations with clients don't bother me anymore.  It is what it is.  And I'm glad to see that Ava is gravitating toward that style, naturally.  (Ok, that's more of a fact about me, but it's funny to see how children inherit our traits, without us pushing them in a certain direction.)
So, Wednesday ended on a high note.  But, remember that I said Ava wasn't feeling so great that night?  She was cold and shaky, had a headache, and her throat hurt.  Our guess?  Strep!  On Thursday morning, I kept her home from SAC (they didn't have school on Thursday, Friday, or tomorrow) so she missed out on the skating party...she was pretty bummed about that.  But, good thing I didn't take her...we went to the Minute Clinic, and she tested positive for strep.  We should be doctors! :)  Ava learned first hand how the pharmacy works, and also how you can spend a lot of time shopping in CVS!  We ended up heading home with new lip gloss, blush, nail polish, and penicillin.  That's my kind of shopping trip!

Ava's doing much better, and ended up enjoying the Reptile exhibit that came to SAC on Friday.  Initially, she had no interest in the exhibit, but it turns out she touched a snake and a turtle.  This is a huge step for her...you have no idea how much she dislikes reptiles!

Little G has been doing really well...his newest thing when he's hungry is to walk over to the high chair and tug on the tray, or head to the pantry and try to open the door.  Makes it easy for us to figure out what he wants!  He had his first shower last night (Scott gave it to him) and it sounds like he did pretty well.  He didn't completely freak out when the water hit his head/face, so at least it was a positive experience.  G gets so excited when he sees our dogs, Ava, me or Scott...he squeals and gets this huge grin on his face.  He's such a fun little guy, and I hope that his happy-go-lucky attitude stays with him.  I figure that since Ava was sassy since birth, and continues to be that way, maybe G will remain easy-going and happy.  We have all of our fingers crossed!

Scott had to work yesterday, so the kids had ample opportunities to play together.  When Scott got home, we enjoyed a great lasagna dinner (he said it was the best one I have ever made) and a nice evening together as a family.  Scott skipped the flowers for Valentine's Day this year, and instead bought me a bulb garden.  I'm pretty excited to see how it does.  (I have no idea what to do with these plants, so I'll have to find someone who can give me some guidance.)


Fun on a lazy Saturday afternoon...


Such happiness in this one - love it!




Love this pic, even with G's stuffy nose!


Ava has been picking out her outfits lately...they certainly are colorful!


I am feeling very blessed to have such a wonderful family.  Things are very good!  Scott and I have a few neat dates lined up over the next month, and I just registered for an Irish 5K in March with a few friends.  It's nice to have fun things to look forward to, and not just endless amounts of work.  Hoping that it stays that way for a bit!

Comments

Megan said…
Way to go Ava!! And stay away from those blue cards, lol!!! If you ever need book recs I know just the lady :) and seeing g on those kid chairs makes me want to tell you that ours spend a lot of time on top of the fridge! Levi uses them for everything but sitting and I'm about ready to torch them :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bricks and Birthdays

Last Sunday, G and I headed off to the Minneapolis Brick Convention to see everything LEGOs! Ever since I bought the tickets, months ago, he couldn't wait to check it out. I was so happy that it was held at a location not too far from home, because it was snowing as we were driving there. Overall, it was a pretty neat experience. There were some amazing brick creations, and of course there was an opportunity to buy LEGO pieces! G has been on a 1980's spaceman kick, so he ended up getting Benny, the blue spaceman (from The LEGO movie), as well as Jenny, the white space(wo)man, as well. Once he had those two new pieces in hand, he was able to focus more on all of the cool builds they had displayed in the convention. It was pretty crowded, so after we were done, I was quite happy to get out of the building into a quiet car. More and more, I'm hitting my limit of "peopling" at an earlier point during each crowded event I go to. But, I did it for G, and he loved it! (I

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se