Skip to main content

Christmas in Colorado!

We had a wonderful Christmas in Colorado this year!  Both kids traveled fairly well...Ava talked non-stop both ways, and G slept on the outbound flight (I sat next to him) but he was a little restless on the return flight home (Scott sat next to him.)  I'm just really glad the flight is just under two hours; I'm used to traveling alone where I can catch a nap while in-flight, but not with these two kiddos!  Our outbound flight was a little delayed, but G entertained the gate area with his cute shenanigans (a random man picked him up and sat him on his lap - made me a bit nervous, but Scott was right next to him the whole time) and Ava made a new friend who she could play "Monster High" dolls with.  Couldn't have asked for a better situation in a delay!  One woman actually made a comment to Scott and me about how wonderful it is to see such loving parents with their children.  I'm going to tuck that comment away, and pull it out whenever I'm feeling a bit frustrated with either of them!

It was great to see my parents, eat lots of REALLY good food, bask in the Colorado sunshine/blizzard (yep, it was definitely a white Christmas in Colorado,) and even get a surprise visit from Santa at the house.  My parents' close friends came over for dinner on Friday night, and during the course of conversation, Scott and I discovered a new place we need to check out in Wisconsin - a smokehouse!  Can't wait to head over there with a cooler and stock up on some yummy meats and cheeses!

This year was the 1st year that G had a clue as to what was happening during the holiday (last year he was less than 2 months old at Christmas, and was only aware of sleeping and eating) so it was fun seeing how he reacted to the gift opening, and the general chaos that surrounds the holidays.

And my own personal favorite part?  I actually took a break from work.  I've been working so many hours that I'm almost at the point of burnout, so taking several days off, and only working maybe 3 hours over the course of 6 days was much needed.  I'll be back at work tomorrow, but with a new goal...less time at work, and more time with my family and friends.  As much as I like my job, I needed to remember that I work to live...I don't live to work!

Ok, lots of pictures to share - get ready!

My sweet, sleepy travelin' G


Scott, Ava and the "man who didn't say a word"...I'm really impressed that Ava didn't try to talk his ear off. (But, she did on the return flight when a younger woman sat next to us - poor lady!)


The frozen tundra of Colorado...


Decorating Christmas cookies with Grandma Karen



Hangin' out!


Ava found a little nook in the office and spent a lot of time on her tablet...


I promise he wasn't as uncomfortable as he looks - and check out that belly!!


Grandma Karen, Scott and G


I don't often post food pics, but these smoked salmon apps were delish!


"Ho, ho, ho!"  Look who dropped by to check in on Ava (and wisely told her that she would need to wait until she's older to get a big trampoline!)


G's 3rd Santa visit in two weeks - amazing!


We had a stowaway - George!  Glad you made the trip to CO!


Hahahaha!  (Stop with the pics, Mommy!)


Another food pic...our family's traditional (German) butterball soup...so yummy!


Snuggle time with Ava before watching "The Polar Express"


Time to open gifts...G was most intrigued with the ribbon and the boxes...



Usually Ava's the tricky one to get smiling for the camera



Totally freaking out when she realized she got an American Girl doll



Meet Annie (the flight attendant asked me if it was Samantha...I said no.  And then I marveled silently at the fact that a grown man knew enough about AG dolls to know the name of one of the dolls!)


The very first American Boy doll! :)


Leaving treats for Santa...


...who gobbled them up when he came to visit!


Such a great picture of the two boys...


G was admiring his lion sun catcher...


...until a flashy, noisy fire truck came along!


I'm bummed this pic is blurry...this is Ava's real smile.  Love that dimple!


It was a big Christmas for Ava...not only did she get Annie, but Santa also brought her a pink .22 rifle!  (Not sure how I feel about that, but I know that Scott will be with her during the learning and shooting process, and I know I can trust him 100%!)


What 1-year old doesn't want beer-flavored jelly bellies??  (J/K, they were for Scott and Grandpa Doug!)


A nice mimosa on Christmas morning...


Back to the tablet, in her own little world...where there are lots of colorful ponies, and a big pink Dreamhouse...



Colorado snowstorm!


Ahhh...sibling love!


So, that was Christmas, part 1.  We had part 2 yesterday, and will have part 3 this coming weekend...so, more pics to come!  Happy Holidays!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh