Skip to main content

Polar Vortex, Part Deux

Maybe, just MAYBE, this coming week, Ava will be in school for five whole days.  In a ROW.  Last Monday and Tuesday, schools were closed again due to the arctic temps.  However, unlike Polar Vortex, Part One...this time, I had to go to work.  So, Scott and I worked out a crazy schedule where he went in at 12:30am, came home at 9:30am, I took G to daycare and left for work, and then Scott was a walking zombie for the rest of the day.  A big shout out to Grandma Deb who came to our rescue on Tuesday...she watched Ava for the day, so Scott didn't have to go in at the stroke of midnight.  But when you start your week off as a zombie, you never quite shake that mode until the weekend...

I hear the groundhog saw his shadow - so six more weeks of winter?  That would be AWESOME if we only had six more weeks of winter!  Let's not do a repeat of last year where it was still snowing in May.

So, in Ava's three days of school this week, she managed to have two green days, and one red one.  Red due to talking, of course.  Can we duct tape her mouth shut!?  Is that legal??  I kid.  Eh, kind of.  I asked her why she talks so much.  She gave me a look and answered dryly, "Because I like to talk."  Like I was a moron for asking such a simple question.  She's getting fun to spar with (verbally) - although, the adult male in our house doesn't quite see it that way.  On "the-day-of-the-red", I asked her why she got a red day, we talked about it for a few minutes, and then moved on to reading about Charlie Mouse, finding Christmas.  10 minutes into our story, Scott pipes up from the couch and tells us we (Ava and me) to stop fighting so much. (Looking back, I think he was speaking in broad terms, and not necessarily in that moment...)  However, I took the opportunity to look at Ava and say, "We're not fighting, are we, darling Ava?"  Ava sweetly replied, "No, Mommy, we're not fighting."  And then I said, "See, Scott, we're not fighting!"  After that, I *might* have heard some grumblings from Scott about ganging up on him, and how we was going to take Garrett and go far, far away from the crazy, crabby girls... It made me laugh.  And sometimes, that's exactly what is needed!

As for the actual sweet, angelic child...G is constantly having awesome days at daycare.  I took it as a compliment when Sheila said he's all smiles and giggles, and only cries when hungry.  And that's why #2 is our easy child.  I took him to get his three-month photos yesterday, and he did SO well!  We captured some amazing pics - can't wait to pick them up in a few weeks.  We went to a new place for photos, and I'm very pleased with how the experience went.  I let him sleep in on Friday, and didn't wake him up to eat.  He went an extra hour, so that was another 10-hour solid night's sleep.  He is such a blessing!

Scott finished framing our storage area in the basement this weekend - we just need to get a door hung, and we'll be ready to get that area organized.  I'm impressed that he got as far as he did, considering the zombie effect, and long working hours he put in.  There are so many little projects that we have to do around here, I think we'll be busy for years!  In fact, last night, I was having a dream about decorating our bathroom, and was asking for advice (that scenario has happened in real life many times recently, so clearly, it's top of mind)...and whoever I was speaking with in my dream said, "So, the trick to decorating a space perfectly is..."  And then G started crying and woke me up!  I was pretty disappointed that I didn't learn this secret trick...

My 2nd week back to work was totally fine - nothing extraordinary (besides the crazy hours due to the weather.)  I'm making lots of observations on the "troubled account" I've been put on, and will be speaking with management about those.  It feels really, really good to focus my brain on work-related stuff - more proof that I just don't have the right built-in mindset to be a stay at home mom (lots of women do, I'm just not one of them.)  I need to have that working distraction, so I can more fully appreciate my time at home.  Glad I have finally realized and accepted that!

As for the last 48 hours, we have been buuuuusy!  I had a happy hour on Friday night; yesterday, we had the three-month photos with G, and then Ava, G and I went to Good Times Park, and met up with our friend Amy, and her two girls.  All the girls played and played and played...and then we ate lunch, and somehow got talked into going BACK to the park so they could play for another hour.  (Meanwhile, at home, Scott had finished up the framing, and was enjoying a boys outing at the VFW in SSP - he even won us some bacon-wrapped chicken at the meat raffle!) 

Today is going to be just as busy...Scott took Ava and G to visit Great-Grandma this morning, we have someone coming over to look at buying some furniture from us, then Scott's sister and family are stopping over to visit, and then I'm heading over to a neighbor's house to meet the neighbor who moved in right behind us last month!  And THEN it's the Super Bowl!  WOOOHOOOOO!  Of course, the Broncos need to win.

Clearly, we're all going to be exhausted by day's end!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bricks and Birthdays

Last Sunday, G and I headed off to the Minneapolis Brick Convention to see everything LEGOs! Ever since I bought the tickets, months ago, he couldn't wait to check it out. I was so happy that it was held at a location not too far from home, because it was snowing as we were driving there. Overall, it was a pretty neat experience. There were some amazing brick creations, and of course there was an opportunity to buy LEGO pieces! G has been on a 1980's spaceman kick, so he ended up getting Benny, the blue spaceman (from The LEGO movie), as well as Jenny, the white space(wo)man, as well. Once he had those two new pieces in hand, he was able to focus more on all of the cool builds they had displayed in the convention. It was pretty crowded, so after we were done, I was quite happy to get out of the building into a quiet car. More and more, I'm hitting my limit of "peopling" at an earlier point during each crowded event I go to. But, I did it for G, and he loved it! (I

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o