Skip to main content

Deer Education

With this crazy July weather we've been having (upper 90's one day, chilly mid-60's the next,) I think we're all a bit confused on what time of year it is.  I was hoping to go to a water park on Friday afternoon, but due to the winter-like conditions, decided to get a pedi, go to a French bakery, and shopping instead.  A fun afternoon, for sure, but not the one I was expecting!

We went to a my co-worker's party last night, and it was weird pulling out the fall apparel.  But, glad we had it, as we were outside most of the night, and it was chilly. 



This weather has started me thinking about this fall...and hunting season.  I'm not a hunter, but Scott is.  That means we both like it when we see deer in the neighborhood - but our joy is probably for different reasons.  I think they're cute animals, whereas Scott sees dinner.  On Thursday afternoon (I was home with a fevered-Ava) I looked out our back window and saw a doe with two fawns - hanging out in the neighbor's garden, enjoying the salad they found.  As I watched them, I noticed one of the fawns squat, and presumably pee.  I thought that was odd (I'll be honest, I don't read up on how deers operate in nature,) and even mentioned it to Scott, since I was on the phone with him when it happened.  I also mentioned it to another friend of mine - and they both said they didn't know deer did that (and maybe I was crazy?)  After some research (thanks Wikipedia!) we discovered that for the first year of a deer's life, they do in fact, squat...it has something to do with the glands on their legs, etc.  Interesting, but the main point was that hey, you really can learn something new every day!  And teach it to other people!

That was a really long paragraph about something that 0.01% people might be interested in, but...now you've learned something, too. :)

 
In other news...last weekend, Ava had a birthday party to attend at Como Zoo in St Paul.  Anyone who has EVER tried to go to Como on a lovely summer weekend afternoon knows that there is absolutely no parking available - not on the lots, not on the street, and not in the nearby neighborhoods.  Since Ava is only a wee five years old, I could hardly let her out of the car by herself and send her aimlessly across the zoo grounds to find where she was going.  Moment of panic!  Thank goodness that I'm friends with the mom of the birthday girl, and she left the pre-stages of the party to come and get Ava from my car.  Crisis averted! 
 
So, then I parked the car about a mile away, melted for about 20 minutes inside while making a phone call, and then trekked back to the Como grounds.  It was a beautifully hot day, so I enjoyed the sunshine outside of the conservatory, read a book, and did some people watching, while waiting for the party to be done.  I had a hard time getting Ava back to the car after the party was over as we had to walk by the Como amusement park, and then, oh yeah, had that mile hike ahead of us.  But bribing and dragging her seemed to work, and we eventually made to our destination.  I did tell Ava the suggestion that came from Grandpa Doug: "Either you walk to the car, or you walk home."  Seems like an obvious choice to me!
 
The Conservatory
 


 
 
In even more exciting news...our potted tomato plant produced it's first little crop!  We're so used to having a big garden, and weren't sure how things were going to work out this year with our on-deck pots of tomatoes and pepper plants.  I'm pretty happy with these little treats.
 
 

 
Pregnancy update: 25 weeks, and still feeling good. And tired. Baby Boy is moving a lot these days, and expanding to all available areas inside of me.  Although, last night, a woman I had never met, mentioned that based on my size, I must only be a few months along. When I corrected her and told her that I'm over 6-months pregnant, she exclaimed that it must be my first child.  Wrong again!  Let me introduce you to Ava...  Don't get me wrong, I'm fine if people think I look tiny - when I see myself in the mirror, I know I'm not.  Luckily, that view is reserved for just a small handful of people. :)

House update:  Last week we had a hole, now we have basement walls!  We drove to Rosemount this morning to see what progress had been made, and we were pleased to see that things moved along over this past week. Even with the downpours we've had.


 
The sun is out today, so I think it's time to enjoy it while it makes an appearance. Happy week to you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh