Skip to main content

Colorado!

I can't believe that this was truly our first family vacation...I mean, we've gone places together before as a family, but it's usually over the holidays, and I don't really count that as a vacation.  When Scott and I have taken vacations, we go without Ava, or we take separate ones with our friends.  So, at the ripe age of Ava being (almost) four, we finally did it!

My parents, Scott, Ava and I all shared a timeshare in Vail...and it was lovely in the mountains!  With the High Park wildfire slowly being contained in Colorado, we were lucky that it didn't interfere with our plans.  However, I feel so bad for everyone that it has affected...when we landed on Sunday, there was a layer of smoke in the air, and you could even smell it...and we were easily at least an hour away.  My heart goes out to everyone that was (and still is) affected by this fire.  While there was some containment, it has now jumped into a new area, and it has burned over 80,000 acres.  Just heartbreaking.

I'm not exactly sure what we did while we were in Vail...the week went by very quickly, even though there weren't a ton of "activities" planned.  Scott and my dad went on a 4-hour hike one morning.  Mom and I had the chance to sit out by the pool for a bit, although, with Ava that was a bit concerning...there was no child pool, and the shallow end started at 4 feet.  Not super relaxing, since neither Mom nor I are the greatest swimmers, and the deep end was at 9 feet. 

We did spend one day driving to Leadville, Aspen, and then back through Glenwood Springs, so we had some amazing scenery views that day.  And I was reminded that I don't do well on windy mountain roads.  I had to displace Scott from the front seat so I could get my motion sickness under control.  Luckily, Ava had no such issues being in the back of the van!

And now...a whole bunch of pics...!

We went to Park Meadows Mall to do some shopping for Scott (I know!) and Ava got stopped by a lady at a kiosk that wanted to give her "princess curls"...I'll admit, it looked even easy enough for me to do it!  And it turned out so cute for a few minutes worth of work!




Entertaining herself with "rock pillows" while waiting for Daddy to fnish shoe shopping.


Grandma caught her!


Sunday night we went to Casa Bonita for dinner...one of my fondest memories in Denver.  And it's still pretty fun for an adult - but even more so to see it through Ava's eyes.


Eat up so we can play!



The "icy cold" waters...I think the depth of the water is 15'?  Perfect for the cliff divers!


Standing behind the waterfall...


...shaking her little booty!


In the caves with Grandma


Fire juggling!


Entranced by the gorilla show...either right before or right after this pic, the gorilla ran right behind us!


There he is, "undershorts" and all!  (That's the first thing Ava noticed about him...)


It was surprising to see that it was still light out when we left...and boy, I sure look exhausted in this pic!


Getting ready to do a ballet show for us


Taking a quick break to sit with Mommy


Doing her version of the robot


Another break to help Grandma open birthday gifts!


The grande finale!


And the next day (Monday) we drove up into the mountains!



Poor kid was stuck in the way back with the luggage!


Nothing to keep her awake back there


I wish I could have better captured the magnificence of the Rockies...so awesome!


Celebrating an early birthday, plus it gave her new toys to play with for the week!



Heading to Vail Village





We found a little park to play at for a bit - it was pretty cool, actually.  This was a giant pirates ship, so Ava and I decided to check out the crow's nest!





Love the stream that runs through Vail


Hanging out at the pool - what a view!


Foam Fun!  Ava didn't have fun, but I liked it!


We bought a cute little cake for dessert that night.  Ava looks very concerned about what Scott is doing...


LOVE this little cheesy grin!


First try!


Heading out for a drive through the Rockies...we stopped at Camp Hale.  Very desolate, and hard to imagine what it must have been like in the winters.


Stopping for lunch in Leadville - the restaurant had a backyard with a little playset, so we were all happy!



Great view from a street in Leadville


Up at Independence pass...a little chilly at 12,000+ feet!



Aspen!  Monkeys!  Can't wait to get back there some day..


A departing shot as we left Aspen and headed to Glenwood Springs


 The prettiest rest stop I've ever been to


Such a great view of the mountains behind Scott


Resting for a few minutes by the stream that runs by the resort


Taking the Eagle Bahn to the top of a mountain!




It was a beautiful day at the top!


Smelling the state flower, the columbine


Her first pony ride...on Boss Hog!



The good news is that we had three showings while we were gone!  No bites, yet, but we're staying optimistic!

Since we got back on Saturday (June 16), it's been non-stop around here...Father's Day, Ava's 4th birthday, a horrible storm that caused damage throughout South St Paul, and oh, I managed to get shingles.  But more on that later.  I'm stressed out just thinking about last week!

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Megan said…
busy people!! sorry to hear about the shingles...i got an ear infection a few weeks ago. It's the only one i can ever remember having and it SUCKED!!! I can see why it makes little ones so miserable.

Popular posts from this blog

Bricks and Birthdays

Last Sunday, G and I headed off to the Minneapolis Brick Convention to see everything LEGOs! Ever since I bought the tickets, months ago, he couldn't wait to check it out. I was so happy that it was held at a location not too far from home, because it was snowing as we were driving there. Overall, it was a pretty neat experience. There were some amazing brick creations, and of course there was an opportunity to buy LEGO pieces! G has been on a 1980's spaceman kick, so he ended up getting Benny, the blue spaceman (from The LEGO movie), as well as Jenny, the white space(wo)man, as well. Once he had those two new pieces in hand, he was able to focus more on all of the cool builds they had displayed in the convention. It was pretty crowded, so after we were done, I was quite happy to get out of the building into a quiet car. More and more, I'm hitting my limit of "peopling" at an earlier point during each crowded event I go to. But, I did it for G, and he loved it! (I

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o