Skip to main content

She's Getting So Big...

We had two big "milestones" this week with Ava...and now it seems like every time I look at her, I see a little girl, and not my little baby, anymore.  If you asked, she would be happy to tell you, "I am NOT a baby!  I'm a big girl!!"  But then every once in a while, she wants me to carry her like a baby from her bath to her bed, so really, she's sending me mixed messages. :)

I've also spent some time recently looking at past photos of her when she was first born.  I am constantly amazed that the little baby blob who cried, pooped, fussed, and generally made me tired for the last 4 years, has turned into this little girl, who is bright!  And who makes connections in her thought process!  And follows directions when given (by other people, of course, not me or her dad!)

So, what were those milestones, you might ask...

I took her in for her kindergarten screening on Friday.  They did the usual tests of measuring height, weight, hearing (ha!), vision, vocabulary, motor skills, etc.  And she did great!  It was so much fun to watch her interact with an adult, following directions, listening well (for the most part...hm), etc.  I very rarely get to see her in that kind of atmosphere, and I relished every minute of it.  Without a doubt, she is okay to go to school next (2013) fall!  We did talk a little bit about pre-school while we were there, and I think just to make sure we get her in, we're going to enroll her in one in SSP.  And if we move prior to the fall (fingers crossed), we'll have to see what the options are in the new area.  Debi does a fantastic job at daycare with her pre-school lessons, and I think adding a new teacher/group of kids will only benefit Ava's social skills, as well as her learning process.

The one thing that we need to work on?  Her grip holding a pencil.  Huh.  I had no idea that at three they needed to have that correct, already.  Turns out, Debi's been working on that with her for four months already, but she keeps reverting back to the full-hand grasp.  But, now we'll keep an eye on it at home whenever she's coloring, and will correct, as needed.

The second milestone was a purchase for her birthday...her first bike!  We were watching her ride her trike around a few weeks ago, and those little knees were going above the handlebars, so we thought it was time to get something new.  Once we figured out what size she needed, we had to choose the style.  No surprise, of course, but we got the princess one!  It has a (removable) carriage as the basket, flower foot pedals, streamers, a bell, and oh, is it girly!  She will LOVE it!  Now we just need to find a place to hide it...


Update on the moving situation:  we have our home inspection scheduled for the end of the month, so we're hoping that everything goes well, and we don't have anything major that needs to be updated/corrected.  I spent several hours in the basement yesterday, and I can say that the laundry room is 99% ready to go!  It just needs a good floor cleaning, and it will be ready to show.  It's been nice going through everything, and tossing out old items.  The greatest find from yesterday's purging processs?  My car touch-up paint - I've been looking for it for the last 3 years!

Today I'll be straightening up the furnace room, and then the only thing we have left to tackle is the office and the main living room in the basement.  Unfortunately, that will take a bit longer, but once we get into it, it should be easier to organize.  We've been so busy that the office became a "just-put- it-here-for-now-until-we-find-someplace-else" room.  But now...I'm ready to get it straightened up!

As for us...Scott's been working looooong hours lately.  This past week, he was working from 5am-10pm.  The poor guy is so exhausted - he needs to take a break.  Thank goodness we have a trip to CO coming up in a few weeks!

And me?  I've been backing someone at work while he's been in Ireland since May 9. And his project is right in the launch phase, so it's been taking almost all of my time at work.  He comes back to the office on Tuesday, and I am going to be so happy to turn this back to him!  I certainly don't mind backing someone up, and I've learned a lot in the process, but I'm ready to focus on my projects, now!

I'm just waiting for Ava to get home (she spent the night at Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey's house), and then we're going to get stuff done around here! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bricks and Birthdays

Last Sunday, G and I headed off to the Minneapolis Brick Convention to see everything LEGOs! Ever since I bought the tickets, months ago, he couldn't wait to check it out. I was so happy that it was held at a location not too far from home, because it was snowing as we were driving there. Overall, it was a pretty neat experience. There were some amazing brick creations, and of course there was an opportunity to buy LEGO pieces! G has been on a 1980's spaceman kick, so he ended up getting Benny, the blue spaceman (from The LEGO movie), as well as Jenny, the white space(wo)man, as well. Once he had those two new pieces in hand, he was able to focus more on all of the cool builds they had displayed in the convention. It was pretty crowded, so after we were done, I was quite happy to get out of the building into a quiet car. More and more, I'm hitting my limit of "peopling" at an earlier point during each crowded event I go to. But, I did it for G, and he loved it! (I

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o